German New Hampshire

Thanks. I went through them all and am going to keep 4 for now and cull the rest. The problem I am having is they are on the small side. That first one only weighs 5 pounds 11 ounces. Standard says 7.5 for cockerel. They are in the 6-7 month old range. The biggest one is still not quite 7 pounds. Their sire, cock now, is 7 pounds 5 oz. I kept a brother of his, and he is just standard weight, 8-1/2 pounds. I am waiting for him to molt out to see if his white tail feathers miraculously disappear. That is why he didn't get to sire these birds this year. So far, I don't see any white, but the feathers are still sloughing their shafts.
the males here are over 8lbs at 7 months. .This year. Last year the males took 12 months to mature enough to show With the same management and feed.

the males here are over 8lbs at 7 months. .This year. Last year the males took 12 months to mature enough to show With the same management and feed.
That is what I am striving for. Are yours German with a % of American blood in them? Mine have not been crossed onto any American birds and I started at a disadvantage in that all the cockerels from my founding batch of chicks had white in their tails except one. That one had excellent type and won Reserve American at the Tucson show last November, but he was a little on the small side.
I felt I had to use him over the larger birds because I have heard the white in the tails carries forward. That's why I'm watching his brother, to see if the white molts out. He is a full pound bigger by weight and looks bigger as well.

That is what I am striving for. Are yours German with a % of American blood in them? Mine have not been crossed onto any American birds and I started at a disadvantage in that all the cockerels from my founding batch of chicks had white in their tails except one. That one had excellent type and won Reserve American at the Tucson show last November, but he was a little on the small side.
I felt I had to use him over the larger birds because I have heard the white in the tails carries forward. That's why I'm watching his brother, to see if the white molts out. He is a full pound bigger by weight and looks bigger as well.

I've found generally the white usually is more pronounced with each successive molt, I have not studied this in NH but some Delawares and Barred Rocks. J/S

Jeff

I wanted to share some photos at the age of 4 1/2 mos. old. Two of the cockerels started to crow, which sounds like badly tuned French Horn, and I love the sound of it; beyond cute and funny.. Well, they started to chase the pullets as well which is causing plenty of chaos. Life with birds is much less than boring : )

Walt Leonard -fowlman01-birds

Last edited:
I wanted to share some photos at the age of 4 1/2 mos. old. Two of the cockerels started to crow, which sounds like badly tuned French Horn, and I love the sound of it; beyond cute and funny.. Well, they started to chase the pullets as well which is causing plenty of chaos. Life with birds is much less than boring : )

Walt Leonard -fowlman01-birds

Lual, looks like you have some promising looking birds...that pullet is developing nicely thus far and the cockerels shown closest as well
big_smile.png

This is one of 2, 8 month old pullets Jeremy Woeppel sent me from his F1 hatch. He culled from 60 females down to a dozen. Her sibling is in molt...really surprising to have such a young bird do it's first molt before a year old...but then againthis strain combo of NH's seem quite precocious/early maturing and it is Fall as well
wink.png

Planning on taking this one to the Tucson show on November 22nd and 23rd unless she starts to molt as well.
fl.gif

I love her depth and length...overall nice size...excellent layer thus far...perfect quality large eggs...coloration could be more uniform...her legs are a tad too short...but plenty of width between them. she has some black ticking but could use a bit more and perhaps a bit more black in her tail feathers. Some feel her fluff is too loose. Great temperament! I posted her on another forum with alot of postive feedback. Overall she is pleasing to my eye...like her alot!!

This is one of 2, 8 month old pullets Jeremy Woeppel sent me from his F1 hatch. He culled from 60 females down to a dozen. Her sibling is in molt...really surprising to have such a young bird do it's first molt before a year old...but then againthis strain combo of NH's seem quite precocious/early maturing and it is Fall as well ;) Planning on taking this one to the Tucson show on November 22nd and 23rd unless she starts to molt as well. :fl I love her depth and length...overall nice size...excellent layer thus far...perfect quality large eggs...coloration could be more uniform...her legs are a tad too short...but plenty of width between them. she has some black ticking but could use a bit more and perhaps a bit more black in her tail feathers. Some feel her fluff is too loose. Great temperament! I posted her on another forum with alot of postive feedback. Overall she is pleasing to my eye...like her alot!!
She is beautiful!!! How lucky that you have her. I wish you best of luck when you show her. Will you be coming to the January show up in N.CA? It would be nice to meet you & see your birds in person : ) Lual

She is beautiful!!! How lucky that you have her. I wish you best of luck when you show her. Will you be coming to the January show up in N.CA? It would be nice to meet you & see your birds in person : )

Lual

Lual, I'd love to some to Stockton this year...however it's unlikely due to obligations with kids and husband's work that month )-; Perhaps next year....or even a Spring show in lower Cali? I would love to meet you, Walt and others vis a vis at some point
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom