Getting 3 Baby Chicks!!!

Adding 6 new baby chicks
jumpy.gif
(2 -Rhode Island Red, 2 - Barred Rocks, Hoping for 2 -4 Black French Marans) My first batch of chickens are 10 months old now.

Cool! Chicks are so exciting, I am hoping to get mine tomorrow
fl.gif

They are so adorable! I love them!

About them eating the shavings- Usually you are supposed to use either paper towels or puppy pads instead of pine shavings for the first week or 2 so that the chicks do not think that the shavings are food and start eating them instead of their actual food. Once you are confident that your chicks will be able to tell the difference between food and shavings then you can switch to using shavings as litter. Chickens have a natural instinct to scratch and peck so if they are just scratching and pecking at the shavings that is totally fine, but if the chicks are actually eating the shavings that could be very bad. From the video it does not look like the chicks are eating the shavings but I would switch to paper towels or puppy pads for the next week or 2 just in case. ***NOTE: Do NOT use newspaper, it is very slippery under they chicks feet and they could fall and get splay leg, use puppy pads or paper towels.****

I hope I helped!

Yes, that helps! I went and put 2 layers of paper towels on top of the shavings so it is covered well.

At what age can they go outside for a bit? I was thinking at least 2 weeks? I'm thinking of finding a baby play pen (or something similar) that I can turn upside down so they are protected against hawks and my other chickens.

Got 5 babies today!! Yyyaayyy!! These will be my first chicks. Got older pullets the last time. I got a barred rock, 2 auracanas, a speckled Sussex and a silver laced Wyandotte. Woohoo! Their little peeps are just too cute!!

Got 5 babies today!! Yyyaayyy!! These will be my first chicks. Got older pullets the last time. I got a barred rock, 2 auracanas, a speckled Sussex and a silver laced Wyandotte. Woohoo! Their little peeps are just too cute!!
Oh, they are so cute! Our first time with chicks too. One of our older girls (11 months) is a SLW, she is so pretty.

Adorable! I am so excited to get mine, hopefully today!!!
ya.gif

I finally got the chicks today!!!!!!
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif

Meet:

Ellen Degeneres

(Silver laced wyandotte)

Wig Dog

(Easter egger)

And Sheldon

(speckled sussex)

Here they are on the way home from the feed store:

Group Shot:

I am so excited! I will be watching them for the rest of the day, I don't know how I will be able to get my homework done!

MORE PICTURES TO COME!!!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom