Getting a puppy AKC registered?

Quote:
Well..taking your dog to the vets and keeping them for life and feeding them.
lol.png
... is normal dog care.... that doesnt count.
So.. $500 for ear cropping... and a few bucks for vaccines, per pup...
If she sells her pups for $1,500 Or MORE each... (which i'm sure she does)
I'd say shes still making a profit... but shes then using THAT profit to maintain her other dogs.... and calling it breeding costs...
Just my opinion...

It maybe "normal" if you aren't in a "business" of breeding and selling dogs. Once you are considering it a BUSINESS all feed, vet, and "normal" care is a business expense.

The problem here is your perspective of what should and should not be included in cost analysis is off base.

I could say ths same for you..
wink.png

Quote:
I don't know because I don't have Saints, but it seems to me that if you are interested in breeding, your FIRST step should be to read the breed standard. You can find a copy on the AKC site. You need to know and understand the standard if only to learn what other Saint breeders consider to be the perfect dog. Those breeders are the ones who got together to write that standard. It's not something the AKC made up. Breeding is ultimately about creating the dog that matches his standard perfectly. It is NOT just about buying a male and a female and making more puppies that sorta look like Saints. The whole goal is improving your breed with every litter.

One of the best ways to learn about your breed is to join the national breed club and meet folks who share your love of Saints. Sure, you'll find some snobs. But you will also find people who care deeply about the breed and doing what is best for it. And you will gain access to their years and years of experience.

JMO, as always. (BTW I competed in schutzhund with Dobies and GSDs since the early 80s.)

Rusty

I have read the breed standard with akc several times when I bought Symphony. Not many saint owners close to me. I am in a pretty rural area. I do email some breeders that help me....one breeder actually help me with questions and pics of Symphony when I was getting her. That breeder was not a breeder anymore but she had been for twenty some years and showed.

Quote:
I will make sure this time the dam and sires hips have been tested. I doubt the owner of the pups I am looking at did that either. They said Friday night when I first talked to them that they did not want to register cause they did not want them breed. So they were selling them unregistered to good pet homes. I am thinking so people are still gonna breed them though? So now there will be a bunch of unregistered pups out there.

I am gonna be more picky on what male saint I get for sure. I want the parents hips checked. I also had an issue with my female saints dewclaws, come to find out the breeders were doing them themselves. There is one less expense for breeders, if you do it yourself, half azz.

Both of Symphony's parents lines have champion show lines.

Quote:
I will make sure this time the dam and sires hips have been tested. I doubt the owner of the pups I am looking at did that either. They said Friday night when I first talked to them that they did not want to register cause they did not want them breed. So they were selling them unregistered to good pet homes. I am thinking so people are still gonna breed them though? So now there will be a bunch of unregistered pups out there.

I am gonna be more picky on what male saint I get for sure. I want the parents hips checked. I also had an issue with my female saints dewclaws, come to find out the breeders were doing them themselves. There is one less expense for breeders, if you do it yourself, half azz.

When we got our Min Pin we had her dewclaws removed when she was spayed. Wish we hadn't. Apparently removing the front dewclaws can actually weaken the dogs wrists (back dewclaws are normally attatched by only skin). So its better to keep them if the dog is going to be doing agility, or lots of jumping etc. http://jandemellobordercollie.com/DewClaws.htm If you work on getting your dogs used to trimming nails, handling feet/toes, etc. it's not a problem to keep them trimmed.

Good Luck with your search.
smile.png

I dont really see the point in removing front dewclaws in house dogs. There removed on hunting dogs and sled dogs to keep them from getting torn off later. Breeders that do it do usually do it there selves though. They even did it on a episode of dirty jobs.

Quote:

When we got our Min Pin we had her dewclaws removed when she was spayed. Wish we hadn't. Apparently removing the front dewclaws can actually weaken the dogs wrists (back dewclaws are normally attatched by only skin). So its better to keep them if the dog is going to be doing agility, or lots of jumping etc. http://jandemellobordercollie.com/DewClaws.htm If you work on getting your dogs used to trimming nails, handling feet/toes, etc. it's not a problem to keep them trimmed.

Good Luck with your search.
smile.png

Both of my female saints dew claws are gone....but feels slightly funny on compared to the left and right paw where they use to be not visually noticeable though. Both the rear grew back in urrgh.

Quote:
I don't know because I don't have Saints, but it seems to me that if you are interested in breeding, your FIRST step should be to read the breed standard. You can find a copy on the AKC site. You need to know and understand the standard if only to learn what other Saint breeders consider to be the perfect dog. Those breeders are the ones who got together to write that standard. It's not something the AKC made up. Breeding is ultimately about creating the dog that matches his standard perfectly. It is NOT just about buying a male and a female and making more puppies that sorta look like Saints. The whole goal is improving your breed with every litter.

One of the best ways to learn about your breed is to join the national breed club and meet folks who share your love of Saints. Sure, you'll find some snobs. But you will also find people who care deeply about the breed and doing what is best for it. And you will gain access to their years and years of experience.

JMO, as always. (BTW I competed in schutzhund with Dobies and GSDs since the early 80s.)

Rusty

I have read the breed standard with akc several times when I bought Symphony. Not many saint owners close to me. I am in a pretty rural area. I do email some breeders that help me....one breeder actually help me with questions and pics of Symphony when I was getting her. That breeder was not a breeder anymore but she had been for twenty some years and showed.

With my GSDs I was very lucky because there are illustrated standards available online. Taught me a lot. Actually there is a lot of good information available online. Like your area, here there are not many folks involved in schutzhund, so we had to actually "collect" a few to form our own training group. It was worth the effort, though. Most folks who have been at it awhile are a treasure-trove of really good information that they do seem willing to pass along. This kind of mentoring can teach you so much. Much of what I learned starting out came from a few fellow-Marines who were k9 handlers. They taught me so much just because I was interested enough to ask questions and tag along whenever possible.

big_smile.png

Rusty

Someone maybe already mentioned it, but you could probably get it registered with the Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing. If you're wanting to do conformation, that won't help you much, but you could do all of the companion/performance events then.

http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm

Also, if you were wanting to breed and stuff like that...that may not help you, either.

Hope you figure out what to do!
smile.png

Sorry if my post is now irrelevant to the discussion and someone has already gone over everything I've said - I didn't have time to read through all the posts.
smile.png

Last edited:
Its irrelevant kind of, since I am not getting one of those puppies. Still good info though. I was gonna call again today on the puppies and I have decided not too. I will keep looking. Thank you for everyones help.

I remove dewclaws on poodles, because sometimes they can get lost and forgotten in the long hair, grow in a circle and grow back into the pad, or at the very least, get really long and snag on knit fabric and ruin sweaters, afghans, and sometimes hang up as they jump off the sofa and make them land badly. I have heard horror stories you would not believe on dewclaws on poodles that grew too long.

Back
Top Bottom