Getting Chicks In The Mail?

ChickenGirl3

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Hey Everybody,
I wanted to get some baby chicks from a hatchery and In my county It Is illegal the have chickens... unless you have two acres. I have some now ( In hiding ), will the chicks start peeping when the come in?
hmm.png

Quote:
Ditto! As far as the post office knows, your giving them as a gift. I wouldn't worry about the post office, as long as you get along with your neighbors and they don't have a problem with chickens. They are the ones that know you don't have 2 acres
smile.png
and they may not even know about the ordinance!

Quote:
Ditto! As far as the post office knows, your giving them as a gift. I wouldn't worry about the post office, as long as you get along with your neighbors and they don't have a problem with chickens. They are the ones that know you don't have 2 acres
smile.png
and they may not even know about the ordinance!

One of my neighbors is an acre away and the other one has moved out
big_smile.png
!

Last edited:
Unless you are getting something that is illegal to send in the mail, (which chickens aren't) the mail people aren't allowed to do, say anything about it. If you live in a super small town where the mayor's wife works in the post office or something, or someone has a vendetta against you ... (I live in a very small town and not even I can imagine this) see if a friend in another town will let you use her address or something if you really want to deal with a hatchery. Also, I live within a 2 hour driving distance to a hatchery and could go pick them up myself if I wanted to... not always an option but it's possible.

Mostly the people who are receiving the mail in the early morning which is when you get called and pick them up etc don't much care about who's got what coming in.

You go ChickenGirl3! I wouldn't worry about it too much, I am a rural mail carrier, and I can tell you, the clerks aren't thinking about ordinance when baby chicks come in, they just want you to come get them!
smile.png
That is kind of a strange law, but it sounds like they are just trying to discourage chickens, they probably wont spend a lot of time enforcing something like that. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom