Getting some Beautiful Mini lop bunnies! Pics included!

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
So many of you may remember my struggle with my Mini lops. I raise Satins, Mini rex and started on Mini lops this year. With no luck, none of my babies ears lopped when they should, at 4 months the three I have still have their ears up or straight out to the side more then down. Also some type issues. So I have been looking for a breeder who shows, lives within a state or two of me (Iowa) and is willing to work with me on when I can get them, as well as help me with evaluating what I have now to see if anything is salvageable from this group. I am a sucker for colors, and not a huge fan of chestnuts. I wanted seniors, but all she has available as a senior is chestnuts. Just because, I asked what she had for juniors. I am so glad I did! She had a broken smoke pearl buck and a broken opal doe.
I send half the price for the pair of them in January, and will be picking them up in February. They are not closely related, but are the same age, to the day. Both where born September 22nd 2011. So when I pick them up in February they will be almost 5 months old. Which means I will be able to have a litter with them before fall! I plan to show them both through the spring and early summer, then breed to have a litter in August. (we have a heavily treed area they are kept in the summer and have lucked out by not having the heat problems a lot of other Iowa breeders have had). Which I will keep the promising kits and have them old enough to show as juniors in November.

The Buck - Broken Smoke Pearl
3524_brokensmokepearlminilopbuck.jpg

3524_brokensmokepearlminilopbuck2.jpg

The Doe- Broken Opal
3524_brokenopalminilopdoe.jpg

3524_brokenopalminilopdoefront.jpg

OMG! I just love her little face, such chubby cheeks I want to squish them!
I know that crossing two brokens isn't the best option and that I will end up with some charlies. But its a place to start. I may also be getting a steel doe, or a chestnut doe, depending on which my DH would rather have.
I have to say the breeder has been so helpful and friendly. I am finally feeling like I will get there with this breed, where as a few months ago I was ready to give up on Mini lops.

The male is beautiful! So happy you found such a friendly sounding breeder to help you get where you want to be.

The doe has a better head and crown than the buck. Both have decent body type. The doe's coat may be a bit off (she looks too fluffy) but it could be just the baby coat too.
I would try to have babies in the warmer months only. The heat helps their ears grow faster and lop over better. Also don't hold onto them by both of their ears when rolling them over. It can break the cartilage in their crown which will make them not lop over correctly.
There are many good to great mini lop breeders in Minnesota. Check out the arba website or showbunny yahoo group. Also minneapolis craigslist has a few breeders of good ones on it.
I used to raise and show mini lops for 12+ years. I had some great ones and do miss them sometimes but not cleaning out all those pens!
Good luck
Aprille

Back
Top Bottom