Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Are veterinary medications under FDA supervision too? Because a search on the FDA site for "worminator" shows nothing. I would be a bit skeptic towards the effectiveness and safety of it...

i don't think i am meant to have Frence Breese

i ordered from the go to Bresse lady here on BYC

4 hatched which is fine but they have the wrong leg color

look to be orps

maybe they are jubilee (i know she has some)

anyhow the brooder is taking a break after running non stop for the last 5 months

look to be orps

anyhow the brooder is taking a break after running non stop for the last 5 months
Sorry about your bad luck with the breese, seems like everyone has a breed or two that they just can't get going easy. My two hard to start breeds were the lakenvelders and sumatras, but after a few years and several set backs, I now have a good start on them.

I wish you lots of luck if you try again for them.
big_smile.png

Are veterinary medications under FDA supervision too? Because a search on the FDA site for "worminator" shows nothing. I would be a bit skeptic towards the effectiveness and safety of it...

Worminator is a UK product sold only by a few stores here in the US. (flash back to a conversation I had about three years ago here on BYC)

I will check into its source and add a link.

deb

ETA: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/587307/does-anyone-use-worminator

Twin Cities Poultry Supply

Last edited:

look to be orps

What color are their legs? My 2 bresse hatched with yellow legs that turned light blue after a couple weeks.

look to be orps

If they have hatched with yellow legs, give it a couple of weeks and they should turn blue... that's what mine did.

The "Worminator" is pyrantel - also sold as Combantrin

To remove parasites from the body, the biological differences between worm and mammal are exploited. In the case of members of the roundworm family (the "ascarid" worms), the parasitic worm is attached to the host’s intestine by its tiny teeth and/or suckers. Pyrantel acts as a neuromuscular blocker so that the parasite relaxes its grip, effectively paralyzing the worm so that it loses its attachment. The worm is then passed with the feces into the cold, cruel world. Outside of the host protective body, the worm soon dies. Because the medication is absorbed poorly from the host’s intestine, the host is completely unaffected by the paralysis effect.

You can get it by the pint at Amazon in a generic form

http://www.amazon.com/Agri-Laborato...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1400624880&sr=1-1

Back
Top Bottom