Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Happy Birthday Mrs. Oz
old.gif

oh it's her birthday........ how many more years before she hits the big 40 ?
idunno.gif

you have a filipina in your house and no chafing dishes?
lau.gif

that poor girl

my wife grew up 1/2 of her life eating off of banana leaves

we have a cabinet full of dishes

i think there is stuff in there that she doesn't even know it's use

i do frown on her putting chicken treats in my ice cream bowls

i don't care to eat out of them once i find that they have nothing but poop in em & they are flipped over in the corner of the coop...... yuck

my wife grew up 1/2 of her life eating off of banana leaves

we have a cabinet full of dishes

i think there is stuff in there that she doesn't even know it's use

i do frown on her putting chicken treats in my ice cream bowls

i don't care to eat out of them once i find that they have nothing but poop in em & they are flipped over in the corner of the coop...... yuck

lau.gif

Every plate in my house has been used by the chickens at some point... And I have used the casserole dishes to start seedlings in.

Quote:
my wife would dig the bike but it would have to be pink we are shopping for her 1st car, guess what color she wants it to be......PINK i explained that pink cars are rather rare here in the states so now she want to send it out & get it painted pink......i can't win what kind of stripper did she want? i would have rented her a wallpaper stripper & told her to "have fun" ....... he he he

@Lacy Blues of course you did not offend me.

In a perfect world, I would love to not give anribiotics, I was just thinking recently how great it was that I had not administered any antibiotics to my chickens in more than 4 months.

I am not sure how many birds you have. We dont have access to yoghurt. South East Asia has very few dairy resources and I am developing my own but I am a good three years from being able to "put the kitchen gal to work making yoghurt"

I currently have around three hundred that are under six weeks of age, To prevent Coccidiasis I retain about 5-10% of the rice husks in the brooder from the previous birds, They have done very well building their own resistance to the organism and I have, in the whole time I have been doing this, never had to treat for the disease. I lose about 3 percent of my chicks from hatch to around a month of age.

The outbreak is in a virgin brooder. I ran out of space after a very successful shipped egg hatch. It is only about 20 birds but contains the first turkey poults that I have ever been able to hatch. They are very important to me. Hopefully I can get this worked out in a few days.

Vaccinations will always be a key strategy.

Hopefully in a couple of gererations of locally bred birds, they develop a little strength in fighting local bugs
Sir Oz, having gone through coccidiosis problem before, now i put Lactozyme in my feeds & Digestaide Probiotic to cickens drinking water. It is locally available.

Sir Oz, having gone through coccidiosis problem before, now i put Lactozyme in my feeds & Digestaide Probiotic to chickens drinking water. It is locally available.
thanks again Rolito

My vitamin and mineral suppliment has probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus and Streptococcus facium. I also give my homemade raw coconut vinegar. While all of these help, they cant stop a full blown outbreak.

The best preventative is Amprolium. Its the "medicated" in American medicated chick feed

Its not an antibiotic but blocks thiamine, weakening the cocci and allowing the chicks to develop immunity. You should only give it for six weeks as the thiamine blocking will eventually harm the chicken.

I have more than 300 birds in the danger age group. I lost a total of three - all in the same two week old batch. I did not start to treat till 2 had died and the fourth was developing symptoms. Normally I accept a few deaths. If the precious turkey poults were not in there, I probably would have let it run its course

on Raw Coconut Vinegar - from http://www.livestrong.com/article/262961-what-are-the-benefits-of-coconut-vinegar/

Coconut vinegar is similar to other fermented vinegars such as apple cider and balsamic vinegars. It can either be made with coconut water or from the sap, or "tuba," of the coconut tree. Coconut vinegar is a staple condiment in Southeast Asia, particularly in the Philippines, where it is called suka ng niyog, and is also used in some regions of India. Coconut vinegar is white and cloudy with a very pungent acidic taste and a hint of yeast. As with apple cider vinegar, coconut vinegar includes the "mother," or culture of organisms that caused the fermentation.

Rich in Minerals

The sap used to make coconut vinegar comes from coconut trees grown in volcanic soil rich with minerals. The sap contains phosphorus, potassium, iron, magnesium, sulfur, boron, zinc, manganese and copper. It is especially rich in potassium, containing an impressive 192 milligrams per tablespoon. The Institute of Medicine lists known functions of each mineral in your body. Potassium is important in balancing electrolytes, controlling high blood pressure and metabolizing sugar, while phosphorus works with calcium to build bones and facilitates your body's ability to use other nutrients. Iron is critical for the creation of red blood cells and is essential in the production of cellular energy. In addition to being another component in red blood cell formation, copper is a mineral that will also assist your body with iron absorption. Magnesium is important in nerve and muscle function and is essential in every major biological process in your body.
Contains Amino Acids

Coconut sap contains all 9 essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein, although there are only trace amounts of methionine present. The sap also contains 8 nonessential amino acids. Proteins are part of every living cell in your body. The Nutrition Supplement Education Centre lists many other functions of amino acids, including their importance in the formation of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen, and antibodies, which help your immune system fight infection. Some amino acids play a part in repairing tissue, while others serve as neurotransmitters, transmitting messages within the brain, and some are even utilized in detoxification and metabolic functions.

thanks again Rolito

My vitamin and mineral suppliment has probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus and Streptococcus facium. I also give my homemade raw coconut vinegar. While all of these help, they cant stop a full blown outbreak.

The best preventative is Amprolium. Its the "medicated" in American medicated chick feed

Its not an antibiotic but blocks thiamine, weakening the cocci and allowing the chicks to develop immunity. You should only give it for six weeks as the thiamine blocking will eventually harm the chicken.

I have more than 300 birds in the danger age group. I lost a total of three - all in the same two week old batch. I did not start to treat till 2 had died and the fourth was developing symptoms. Normally I accept a few deaths. If the precious turkey poults were not in there, I probably would have let it run its course

on Raw Coconut Vinegar - from http://www.livestrong.com/article/262961-what-are-the-benefits-of-coconut-vinegar/

Coconut vinegar is similar to other fermented vinegars such as apple cider and balsamic vinegars. It can either be made with coconut water or from the sap, or "tuba," of the coconut tree. Coconut vinegar is a staple condiment in Southeast Asia, particularly in the Philippines, where it is called suka ng niyog, and is also used in some regions of India. Coconut vinegar is white and cloudy with a very pungent acidic taste and a hint of yeast. As with apple cider vinegar, coconut vinegar includes the "mother," or culture of organisms that caused the fermentation.

Rich in Minerals

The sap used to make coconut vinegar comes from coconut trees grown in volcanic soil rich with minerals. The sap contains phosphorus, potassium, iron, magnesium, sulfur, boron, zinc, manganese and copper. It is especially rich in potassium, containing an impressive 192 milligrams per tablespoon. The Institute of Medicine lists known functions of each mineral in your body. Potassium is important in balancing electrolytes, controlling high blood pressure and metabolizing sugar, while phosphorus works with calcium to build bones and facilitates your body's ability to use other nutrients. Iron is critical for the creation of red blood cells and is essential in the production of cellular energy. In addition to being another component in red blood cell formation, copper is a mineral that will also assist your body with iron absorption. Magnesium is important in nerve and muscle function and is essential in every major biological process in your body.
Contains Amino Acids

Coconut sap contains all 9 essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein, although there are only trace amounts of methionine present. The sap also contains 8 nonessential amino acids. Proteins are part of every living cell in your body. The Nutrition Supplement Education Centre lists many other functions of amino acids, including their importance in the formation of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen, and antibodies, which help your immune system fight infection. Some amino acids play a part in repairing tissue, while others serve as neurotransmitters, transmitting messages within the brain, and some are even utilized in detoxification and metabolic functions.
Good. We really have some mortality in breeding chickens. As it happened, in return it makes us a little more educated, informed, & prepared, Yes Sir & the best "tuba" is from our place Cauayan. It is our favorite drink every afternoon after work with fresh fish "kinilaw" Cauayan style.Lol! I presume you have already tasted the "kinilaw" delicacy of our place along with a gallon of "tuba," drunk in a vessel made of coconut shell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom