Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

No, no, he's still crazy.......
hugs.gif

Glad to hear that you got some breda, polish, and those elusive legbars. I think everyone has a breed that eludes them to some extend, just most of these people who I know don't stick it out till they got it. I have also done the happy dance over a low hatch number when it was ones I really wanted that hatched.

Good luck getting your numbers up to meet your new found demand. And as Wisher1000 said, you're still a crazy chicken man (who couldn't be with the time, effort and number of birds you have :) ) You just might end up a richer crazy chicken man, or at least one who breaks even ;) .

I had no intention of being a commercial hatchery but was floored by the number of enquiries. My two ads on the local internet classified site gave me twenty inquiries for birds in a week. Not just the production birds but also many wanting a variety of trios and quads of several breeds.

I am almost at the stage where I don't wantto sell bbecause I want to increase my breeding numbers to twenty hens of the most popular breeds. Rhode islands, barred rocks, buff orps will be the main stay but blue egg layers and more exotic birds like polish faverolles marans and such seem to have a decent demand as well.

I have truly stumbled into a potential gold mine.
I hope you make a big score OZ

i found out what i can put over my buff hens to get sex linked chicks for next season

now i just need to track down the cockerel for the task

i'll still keep my buff rooster but i'll split off a few hens from the main coop

just set the 1st 22 muscovy duck eggs in the sportsman (looking to set 150 total)

i plan to mist them at least once every other day

did that with a broody hen (chicken) & got 6 of 7 to hatch out

pig

Last edited:
@ramirezfarming@ its all a matter of perspective. I thought it was a great hatch.

I have been wanting leg bars and trying to hatch them for a long time. Phage has given me eggs on several occasions and has to go to great lengths to get me the eggs. They were my most precious cargo.

When I had eight hatch I did a little tap dance around the brooder and if you saw my gait you would know that I must have been pretty excited.

Add to that the establishment of white crested black polish for which I have a soft spot for along with Breda that I have a lone roo and its an awesome hatch.

I have also have had several emails requesting red layers. People wanting to buy 200 to 400 chicks. The new Hampshirewillbe inincluded in my red sex link production layer business that I am now going to set up. It appears that the brown eggs are better for you mentality has crossed the Pacific and there is nobody to supply chicks to the market.

I would be more than happy to have a pen of 40 to 60 birds producing 400 pullet chicks a month. The cockerals would be sold off at next to nothing but this would be a thousand dollar per month side business on its own that has the potential to turn into so much more.
It is a blessing for your long patience Sir Oz. Hoping one day a can have in my coop Crested Cream Legbars too. God bless!

You go OZ. You deserve the ups you are now experiencing for the lows that you have trudged through in the past getting to this point. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person

Back
Top Bottom