Getting through loss of chickens

HockeyMom328

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2023
Something probably only this group will understand… I am so devastated and sad. I don’t even know if this is the right place to post this. Without rambling on about the details, any advice on getting past the sadness, guilt, and anger when losing sweet chickens to predators, or a dog who just likes the chase and catch (and sadly, you know what happens with the catch with how fragile they are)? How can I feel more like the people that say “they are just chickens”?
Thank you!

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Second, if you keep chickens, it doesn't take long for them to work their way into your heart, and then they are not "just chickens."

Third, and this is the hard part, take a good hard look at what happened. Learn from this. Do you need to change something to make them safer? Change it.

As sad as this event is, put the experience to the betterment of your next flock. It would be much sadder to have this happen again.

And, hugs. :hugs:hugs:hugs

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Second, if you keep chickens, it doesn't take long for them to work their way into your heart, and then they are not "just chickens."

Third, and this is the hard part, take a good hard look at what happened. Learn from this. Do you need to change something to make them safer? Change it.

As sad as this event is, put the experience to the betterment of your next flock. It would be much sadder to have this happen again.

And, hugs. :hugs:hugs:hugs
Thank you Sally PB. Appreciate your thoughts. Yah, unfortunately the things that happened were “breaks” in our normal process. One earlier this week was due to a gate we ALWAYS close at night, was missed… this allowed free ranging earlier in morning than we usually let them out. So pretty certain it was an early morning predator (fox perhaps). Then today…ugh… lost 3. My Pyrenese escaped the fence on our land. It’s been happening a lot lately (she’s figured out how to climb over… apparently 10 acres is not enough for her). In short, we did not get to the chickens on time to protect them. I think she thought she was doing her job..seemed very proud until I screamed at her. It was a game of chase and catch for her. But absolutely can still learn from our mistakes… (for example, tonight I already looked at the gate about 8 times, instead of my usual 1-2, to make sure it was closed and girls are secure). Thank you for the good wishes.

Totally sucks watching and caring for them and then gone. My condolences luv. Well just yesterday I saw that damn sneaky FOX, that has always giv me problems, crossing the road 7 miles from my house. Swerved to hit him..2 fast. Drove back by and yelled out the window very obscene and vulgar language. Made me feel better. Hope you feel better.

Something probably only this group will understand… I am so devastated and sad. I don’t even know if this is the right place to post this. Without rambling on about the details, any advice on getting past the sadness, guilt, and anger when losing sweet chickens to predators, or a dog who just likes the chase and catch (and sadly, you know what happens with the catch with how fragile they are)? How can I feel more like the people that say “they are just chickens”?
Thank you!
:hugs So sorry for your losses! Nobody here is going to say "they're just chickens, get over it!" We all feel what you feel for your chickens. And most of us know exactly what you're feeling right now, along with that sense of loss. We know the "what ifs" and the "if onlys." Because we've been there. Very few of us get through the early years of chicken keeping without some painful losses. So you've come to the right place. We understand. We care. And we'll be here to help you get back on your feet and keep going. Because it's worth it. The joy of keeping chickens is healing. Please don't give up. ❤️

Thank you!
I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard to lose pets we care for so much, esp ones as vulnerable as chickens. Take comfort in knowing that you gave them a good life, much longer and better than most chickens in this world get. I know nothing we say can take your pain away, but please give yourself grace. Chicken keeping can be both the best and worst at the same time. Sending you so many hugs :hugs

:hugs So sorry for your losses! Nobody here is going to say "they're just chickens, get over it!" We all feel what you feel for your chickens. And most of us know exactly what you're feeling right now, along with that sense of loss. We know the "what ifs" and the "if onlys." Because we've been there. Very few of us get through the early years of chicken keeping without some painful losses. So you've come to the right place. We understand. We care. And we'll be here to help you get back on your feet and keep going. Because it's worth it. The joy of keeping chickens is healing. Please don't give up. ❤️
Thank you so much!! I won’t give up!

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard to lose pets we care for so much, esp ones as vulnerable as chickens. Take comfort in knowing that you gave them a good life, much longer and better than most chickens in this world get. I know nothing we say can take your pain away, but please give yourself grace. Chicken keeping can be both the best and worst at the same time. Sending you so many hugs :hugs
Thank you so much!!

Totally sucks watching and caring for them and then gone. My condolences luv. Well just yesterday I saw that damn sneaky FOX, that has always giv me problems, crossing the road 7 miles from my house. Swerved to hit him..2 fast. Drove back by and yelled out the window very obscene and vulgar language. Made me feel better. Hope you feel better.
Thank you! Something cathartic about screaming vulgar language!

Back
Top Bottom