Girls are't curious about nest boxes. UNTIL NOW! (Pg. 2)

tcwk

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
NW, PA
I have 5 hens (4 Red Star, 1 Golden sea bright banty) who are 16 weeks, they haven't started laying yet but I would expect/like them to be curious about the nest boxes I built and would like them to know that the boxes are there. While they are in the coop they seem to ignore them, I know they will be ready to start laying soon so I would like them to see that they would be a good place to lay and get comfortable with the boxes. I have golf balls in the boxes but that doesn't matter if they are never up there to see them.
My boxes are at about eye level, I am no sure what i should do. Would they find the boxes and be fine when it is time to lay? Should I take down the roosts for a night so they will go in the boxes?

Here are some pics of my boxes.

0724091208a.jpg

0724091208.jpg

0724091208b.jpg

Edit:title change

Last edited:
You're not alone. I'm having the same problem. When I put them in their pen for the night, I have been physically putting a few in thier box. They seem interested at first and get comfy, but I'm not sure how long they stay in after I leave. I just keep hoping it will work.

good luck

I think only one of our hens checked out the boxes before she laid her first egg, now the others are using them. I think they will when they start to lay because they like cozy places and your boxes look cozy to me.

just give them some time, they will go there, I had same deal when I got my hens last year and after a while they just learned what a nest box for.

Good luck.

Omran

You could put some treats in the nest boxs' and see if that would interest them into nest boxes. Or if you don't already keep the part of the nest box with the side that you can open and close shut, you want to try keeping it closed. Maybe they want a little privacy and feel that it is too open? You can try that if you want:D
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
Maybe this will help:D

No advice but wanted you to know I'm going through the same thing. I actually got on this morning to 'look' at everyones nets boxes to see what I was doing wrong. I have 5 that will be 22 weeks old Thursday and not one egg BUT I know someone is getting in one of the nests because everything is moved around. I guess like has aleady been said they just aren't ready yet
sad.png
and I am overly excited lol I just want to see eggs!
smile.png

Quote:
Sign me up! Calling all experts.... I can completely ditto this....... I signed in to start a new post but saw this one already here.... 22weeks and all signs of laying - pastey butt this morning on one of them (now I finally know what pastey butt is)! But I never see them IN the boxes and they look comfy, dark, everything I've been told to do... They roost right in front of them every night.... So will they really just get in the box like magic, while everyone else is out playing?

The nest boxes are lovely, but I think you will be happier getting the bottom ones no more than one foot off the ground and with perches on front to coordinate landings. You know that clip you use to secure the doors? Be very sure it is horizontal, could cause an injury. Not trying to be critical, you're doing a wonderful job and I want you to have eggs in all the right places!
cool.png

Last edited:
Most likely when they are ready to lay they will find the nest boxes as they seek out dark secluded places to lay their eggs. I wouldn't take down the roosts and encourage them to go into the nest boxes at night. If they get into the habit of sleeping in the nest boxes you will probably have poopy eggs and poop in the nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom