Give me the dirt on turkeys

Crabill wrote: its just a normal bronze, and we are supposed to be building a little building to put them in at night, im not worried about the cross breeding since they are just my turkeys so i will probably just run them together depending upon how many males i have

A length of 2"x 2", at about 3.5ft. above the ground, out about 2 ft. from one of the corners (ends attached firmly to fencing) provides an adequate roost (can stretch a tarp over top that corner of fencing to provide some cover). Also consolidates majority of poop in one location for easy removal. Be aware, three week old Bourbon poults can clear 6ft. fencing with ease (will roost, if allowed, at same ht.) If only one flies out it will stick around to be near others.

right now they are only two weeks old and we are still in completion stage of pen, i will post pitcures when its finished. right now mister toms in a dog kennel, with a tarp over the top.... i feel very sorry for him, thats why we are making a bigger cage... so he can have room to move and play. at what age can i introduce the turkey poulets you think, they are currently just one week old almsot 2

I'd wait until they were at least 6 weeks old (developed enough to keep clear if the tom takes a notion). Make sure they have someplace to retreat to/on (couple bales of straw). I"d watch them closely for a few days. If there is any aggression at all, I'd have a temp. pen ready for the tom/poults (whatever is easier). Our toms have been great with the poults - but we kept an eye on them, early on.

I'd wait until they were at least 6 weeks old (developed enough to keep clear if the tom takes a notion). Make sure they have someplace to retreat to/on (couple bales of straw). I"d watch them closely for a few days. If there is any aggression at all, I'd have a temp. pen ready for the tom/poults (whatever is easier). Our toms have been great with the poults - but we kept an eye on them, early on.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Lisa :)

We have raised four turkeys this year from Poults, and they are doing fabulously in with our chickens. They are very interesting birds and grow at an astonishing rate. We throw boxes full of weeds in to them off of our 1/2 acre, and they gobble them down like they are starved.

I've just acquired 4 unknown turkey poults. This entire thread was so helpful.
I'll be reading more I know..I have Pekin ducks arriving in June.
I've always had chickens but discovered bantam cochins, LOVE them.
I do meat chickens every year too. Least I know what I feed em.
I have a wonderful feed mill nearby.

I think I want to get some turkeys and let them free range, but I live right next to the woods and there is a large population of wild turkey
( that come right into the yard ) would I have any problem with them leaving with the wild turkeys ???

Kentucky365 wrote: I think I want to get some turkeys and let them free range, but I live right next to the woods and there is a large population of wild turkey
( that come right into the yard ) would I have any problem with them leaving with the wild turkeys ???

:welcome

We allow ours to free range when we are here (predator suppression service). The Wilds are plentiful but ours imprinted on us and their `territory'. The closest ours have come to the Wilds was a bit of circling/displaying prior to some sparring between the toms; the wilds saw us and disappeared into the woods (our toms took credit for forcing the retreat of the interlopers). Ours have run with 6 ft. welded wire fencing.

Some more: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/92240/give-me-the-dirt-on-turkeys/10 (post 12).

Back
Top Bottom