Giving a broody silkie baby chicks

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
My white silkie has been super broody for weeks. Ive been trying to break her but she is very very determined. I have her in a seperate coop now and was thinking maybe i could give her a few babies? Shes the sweetest thing and seems to want to mother badly. How do i go about this or is it a bad idea dince shes been broody a few weeks already?

I did this earlier this year, but had to try out two broodies. First I gave the broody a few eggs to sit on. I got my chicks and set them up inside in a brooder. That's the important part - if the broody doesn't accept them, you must be prepared to raise them yourself. Even if she does accept them, you'll need to house them inside for a few hours.

Once it got dark, I took two of them to the broody and gently swapped them for the eggs. I thought it was okay, but when I checked about 10 minutes later, she was pecking at them. So, I brought them back inside for the night.

The next night, I tried a different broody. I used two different chicks for the test. All was fine after 15 minutes, so I added the others. She immediately accepted them and was happy. She was a silkie - I put 7 large fowl chicks under her. I kept them in their own little area for about 2 weeks and then they all moved into the main coop with the others. Previous area had been adjacent to the main coop, so all were used to seeing each other. Transition went fine. Mama loved them for around 6 weeks and then "weaned" them. All are doing well now.

Should i make a nest in her mini coop and see if she sits on it? Shes in a seperate coop because i was trying to broody break her but when i put her back in the main coop she goes right back to the nest

Should i make a nest in her mini coop and see if she sits on it? Shes in a seperate coop because i was trying to broody break her but when i put her back in the main coop she goes right back to the nest
when I need to brake a broody hen, I put my hen in a small wire cage with enough room for food and water. a small dog cage will do fine too.

I put her in the mini coop and put bedding in the nesting box and sat her on an egg to see if she would sit. Sure enough all fay she did. Wondering if I can find some sex links because i have 6 5 week old chicks now that i thik are half roos and i really dont want a ton of roos to rehome

Back
Top Bottom