Glass aquariums

ladymommabrahma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
Kentucky
I haven't raised any chicks in a glass aquarium but I would consider it this coming year if it is safe. I am just concerned with with the lack of air flow. What do you keeps your chicks in?

Thanks

I use a regular store bought brooder I bought about 18 years ago
cool.png

Ya this photo was taken 27 Dec 2013
wink.png

gander007
old.gif

Personally I built mine in the coop and use the top as a droppings board. I’d never try to brood chicks in the house. With the dust, noise, and potential smell, my wife would not be happy. The garage might work out for you real well too.

The bigger the aquarium the better, but if you make a wire screen to put on top where it gets good ventilation, the air flow should be fine. Draft protection will be phenomenal.

My real concern would be heat. Too much heat can be dangerous to chicks. If you can set it up so you provide enough heat in one corner but have the further areas of the brooder quite a bit cooler, they can find their own comfort zone and you don’t have to worry about keeping the entire brooder one perfect temperature. As long as you give them the option, they’ll self-adjust. I think they grow up healthier and feather out faster if they can play in a variety or temperatures.

Don’t be concerned if the far areas of the brooder are 20 or 30 degrees cooler than the “ideal” temperatures. As long as they have a warm place to go to warm up when they need to, they’ll do great.

Personally I built mine in the coop and use the top as a droppings board. I’d never try to brood chicks in the house. With the dust, noise, and potential smell, my wife would not be happy. The garage might work out for you real well too.

The bigger the aquarium the better, but if you make a wire screen to put on top where it gets good ventilation, the air flow should be fine. Draft protection will be phenomenal.

My real concern would be heat. Too much heat can be dangerous to chicks. If you can set it up so you provide enough heat in one corner but have the further areas of the brooder quite a bit cooler, they can find their own comfort zone and you don’t have to worry about keeping the entire brooder one perfect temperature. As long as you give them the option, they’ll self-adjust. I think they grow up healthier and feather out faster if they can play in a variety or temperatures.

Don’t be concerned if the far areas of the brooder are 20 or 30 degrees cooler than the “ideal” temperatures. As long as they have a warm place to go to warm up when they need to, they’ll do great.
Nice set up! I think I'll end up using a 20 gallon long aquarium, reduced draft and wider temp range sounds nice, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom