Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cottage rose
talk to a seed rep. and ask questions .

Asking a seed rep about the safety of GMO products would be like asking a drug presentative from the multi-billion dollar drug industry if perscriptuoin drugs are safe for you.
Sorry, major conflict of interest. Only time will prove whose right or wrong. In the mean time I don't care to be a Guinea Pig in somebody's profit making experiment.
Also its a huge assumption on your part to state that all the people who are concerned about GMO products worship everything they read on the internet and on Wikipedia.
That's preposterous!​

There She goes again! Does she ever consider that NOT ALL seed reps sell GMO seeds? Ask the ones that don't! As for my old industry Drugs, the detail men [ they like that better than "drug presentative" or salesman] the people who try to convince doctors to proscrive their co's products their hands are partly tied by the FDA, they can't make unapproved claims about their own products, but they can knock the other guy's. {and yes drug companies are usually large because it takes a ton of money and at least 7 years to do the research, not a Ma & Pa operation] Well good news! you don't have to take drugs RIP and you don't have to buy GMO seed, Buy ORGANIC FOOD for you and your animals. Sure it costs more but you are worth it RIGHT? What I really think you want is the results of other's labor without having to pay for it.~gd​

Quote:
Thank you so much for posting this site. I would like to say that I have 40 laying chickens & I have been getting 1 to 3 eggs a day for the past 4 months. I stopped feeding corn because it is GMO. I still feed milo, as I don't know if it also contains GMO. I mainly feed with chickweed, mealy worms & kitchen scraps. I hope this gets me more eggs. I may have to start over with all new chicks & raise them with natural feeds. Does anyone know about milo ?

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you so much for posting this site. I would like to say that I have 40 laying chickens & I have been getting 1 to 3 eggs a day for the past 4 months. I stopped feeding corn because it is GMO. I still feed milo, as I don't know if it also contains GMO. I mainly feed with chickweed, mealy worms & kitchen scraps. I hope this gets me more eggs. I may have to start over with all new chicks & raise them with natural feeds. Does anyone know about milo ?

Were you feeding them just corn? If so, then the poor laying had nothing to do with GMOs. Chickens should never be fed corn as their sole diet, it has very little nutritional value. If you want eggs, go to a feedstore and buy layer feed thats specifically made and formulated for laying hens.

Also, about the Percy Schmeiser case that Miss Lydia just posted, have a look at this site aswell http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/percy-schmeiser.aspx

If you’ve heard much about agricultural biotechnology, you’ve potentially heard of Percy Schmeiser. Schmeiser is a Canadian canola farmer who Monsanto successfully sued for patent violation after unlicensed Roundup Ready canola was found growing on his farm.

Starting from when we began our efforts to settle the matter out-of-court, Schmeiser claimed the biotech plants in his fields got there by accident and were not planted by him. It’s a claim he continues to make to this day. He’s become something of a folk hero in some circles, playing the role of David to Monsanto’s Goliath. He’s often quoted in the press and is a frequent speaker around the world at events hosted by groups opposed to agricultural biotechnology.

The truth is Percy Schmeiser is not a hero. He’s simply a patent infringer who knows how to tell a good story. Unlike his neighbors, and the vast majority of farmers who plant patented seeds, Schmeiser saved seed that contained Monsanto’s patented technology without a license. As indicated by the trial court in Canada, the seed was not blown in on the wind nor carried in by birds, and it didn’t spontaneously appear. Schmeiser knowingly planted this seed in his field without permission or license. By doing so, he used Monsanto’s patented technology without permission. In fact, the courts determined this in three separate decisions.

Consider just a few of the facts.

In the first trial, Schmeiser claimed in 1997 he sprayed Roundup on three acres of his canola field because he was suspicious it might be Roundup tolerant. If his story were true, this would kill any canola plants other than those tolerant to Roundup. After killing more than half his crop, he then harvested the remaining plants that did not die and segregated this seed. The next year (1998) he had this seed treated and used this seed to plant 1,030 acres on his farm.

Why would he harvest seed that he says he didn’t want on his farm and deliberately plant it the following year?

As expressed in the Canadian Supreme Court judgment documents:

Mr. Schmeiser complained that the original plants came onto his land without his intervention. However, he did not at all explain why he sprayed Roundup to isolate the Roundup Ready plants he found on his land; why he then harvested the plants and segregated the seeds, saved them, and kept them for seed; why he planted them; and why, through his husbandry, he ended up with 1,030 acres of Roundup Ready canola which would have cost him $15,000.

Schmeiser didn’t have a few Roundup Ready plants in his field. His fields had mostly Roundup Ready plants in them–far more than could have ever grown there by accident. Again, in the words of the Canadian court judgment:

…tests revealed that 95 to 98 percent of this 1,000 acres of canola crop was made up of Roundup Ready plants. …The trial judge found that “none of the suggested sources [proposed by Schmeiser] could reasonably explain the concentration or extent of Roundup Ready canola of a commercial quality” ultimately present in Schmeiser’s crop.

Consider Schmeiser’s legal history with this situation:
Schmeiser was first found to have violated Monsanto’s patent in 2001 when the federal court found he “knew or ought to have known” he had saved and planted Roundup Ready seed and infringed Monsanto’s Roundup Ready patented technology. You can read the original Canadian court decision at http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2001/2001fct256/2001fct256.html.
He lost again upon appeal in 2002, when the three-member Canadian Federal Court of Appeal unanimously dismissed all 17 grounds of appeal submitted for Mr. Schmeiser. Read the entire decision at http://decisions.fca-caf.gc.ca/en/2002/2002fca309/2002fca309.html.
He lost again, in 2004, in an appeal to the Canadian Supreme Court--exhausting all his legal options. See the court judgment document at http://scc.lexum.org/en/2004/2004scc34/2004scc34.pdf.

During his frequent lecture tours, Schmeiser continues to say he didn’t plant Roundup Ready seeds. He’s even stated he won the case in the Canadian Supreme Court. What he doesn’t say is that three separate court decisions, including the Supreme Court decision, say exactly the opposite.​

I appreciate your views but I would never feed one kind of food only. I do feed layer pellets plus many other foods, garden leftovers kitchen scraps, milo,etc. I was getting at least 1 doz. eggs a day when the chickens first started laying. They just started decreasing a little at a time. Plus the hatching of eggs were decreasing also. Now, as far as Monsanto is concerned, I have read many views, from many sources, that GMO is not good for eating by any animal. I will believe these sources before I believe Monsanto. Thank you for Monsanto's view.

Quote:

Were you feeding them just corn? If so, then the poor laying had nothing to do with GMOs. Chickens should never be fed corn as their sole diet, it has very little nutritional value. If you want eggs, go to a feedstore and buy layer feed thats specifically made and formulated for laying hens.

Also, about the Percy Schmeiser case that Miss Lydia just posted, have a look at this site aswell http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/percy-schmeiser.aspx

If you’ve heard much about agricultural biotechnology, you’ve potentially heard of Percy Schmeiser. Schmeiser is a Canadian canola farmer who Monsanto successfully sued for patent violation after unlicensed Roundup Ready canola was found growing on his farm.

Starting from when we began our efforts to settle the matter out-of-court, Schmeiser claimed the biotech plants in his fields got there by accident and were not planted by him. It’s a claim he continues to make to this day. He’s become something of a folk hero in some circles, playing the role of David to Monsanto’s Goliath. He’s often quoted in the press and is a frequent speaker around the world at events hosted by groups opposed to agricultural biotechnology.

The truth is Percy Schmeiser is not a hero. He’s simply a patent infringer who knows how to tell a good story. Unlike his neighbors, and the vast majority of farmers who plant patented seeds, Schmeiser saved seed that contained Monsanto’s patented technology without a license. As indicated by the trial court in Canada, the seed was not blown in on the wind nor carried in by birds, and it didn’t spontaneously appear. Schmeiser knowingly planted this seed in his field without permission or license. By doing so, he used Monsanto’s patented technology without permission. In fact, the courts determined this in three separate decisions.

Consider just a few of the facts.

In the first trial, Schmeiser claimed in 1997 he sprayed Roundup on three acres of his canola field because he was suspicious it might be Roundup tolerant. If his story were true, this would kill any canola plants other than those tolerant to Roundup. After killing more than half his crop, he then harvested the remaining plants that did not die and segregated this seed. The next year (1998) he had this seed treated and used this seed to plant 1,030 acres on his farm.

Why would he harvest seed that he says he didn’t want on his farm and deliberately plant it the following year?

As expressed in the Canadian Supreme Court judgment documents:

Mr. Schmeiser complained that the original plants came onto his land without his intervention. However, he did not at all explain why he sprayed Roundup to isolate the Roundup Ready plants he found on his land; why he then harvested the plants and segregated the seeds, saved them, and kept them for seed; why he planted them; and why, through his husbandry, he ended up with 1,030 acres of Roundup Ready canola which would have cost him $15,000.

Schmeiser didn’t have a few Roundup Ready plants in his field. His fields had mostly Roundup Ready plants in them–far more than could have ever grown there by accident. Again, in the words of the Canadian court judgment:

…tests revealed that 95 to 98 percent of this 1,000 acres of canola crop was made up of Roundup Ready plants. …The trial judge found that “none of the suggested sources [proposed by Schmeiser] could reasonably explain the concentration or extent of Roundup Ready canola of a commercial quality” ultimately present in Schmeiser’s crop.

Consider Schmeiser’s legal history with this situation:
Schmeiser was first found to have violated Monsanto’s patent in 2001 when the federal court found he “knew or ought to have known” he had saved and planted Roundup Ready seed and infringed Monsanto’s Roundup Ready patented technology. You can read the original Canadian court decision at http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2001/2001fct256/2001fct256.html.
He lost again upon appeal in 2002, when the three-member Canadian Federal Court of Appeal unanimously dismissed all 17 grounds of appeal submitted for Mr. Schmeiser. Read the entire decision at http://decisions.fca-caf.gc.ca/en/2002/2002fca309/2002fca309.html.
He lost again, in 2004, in an appeal to the Canadian Supreme Court--exhausting all his legal options. See the court judgment document at http://scc.lexum.org/en/2004/2004scc34/2004scc34.pdf.

During his frequent lecture tours, Schmeiser continues to say he didn’t plant Roundup Ready seeds. He’s even stated he won the case in the Canadian Supreme Court. What he doesn’t say is that three separate court decisions, including the Supreme Court decision, say exactly the opposite.

Quote:
Ahh, I wasn't sure. A decrease in laying could be because of the days getting shorter and temp getting cooler (depending on where you live)

As for Monsanto, I was more posting their side of the story about Percy then the nutritional value of GMOs.
smile.png

Hi ChickieBooBoo, I live in South TX so the temp is better than up your way but they do lay less when they molt & it gets cooler but never 1 to 3 a day. The first story I saw about Percy, 2 yrs. ago, it said Monsanto's trucks went by his fields, with no tarp on them & the grain was flying out, into his crop. Who is right, I don't know but I do believe Monsanto is in it for all the $$$ they can get. That is why they are in business. Merry Christmas !

Quote:
Ahh, I wasn't sure. A decrease in laying could be because of the days getting shorter and temp getting cooler (depending on where you live)

As for Monsanto, I was more posting their side of the story about Percy then the nutritional value of GMOs.
smile.png

Quote:

smile.png

Yeah, if your in south TX then theres a pretty big difference, especially in the winter. I think because you're farther south then me that you'd get more daylight too?

I agree with you there, but they do put in a lot of money into researched and crop development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom