Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
As a farmer I was watching this thread. The above post is so full of misinformation tho I had to comment.

Farmers are not bullied by Monsanto.

Monsanto is not the only place we farmers can get soybean seed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wasted seeds"

We use round up to control the weeds in the fields.....before that we used cultivation.....haven't ever in my life seen any field hands weeding in the field. We farmers use less chemicals and fertilizers per square foot of ground than what city people apply annually to their yards.

Quote:
As a farmer I was watching this thread. The above post is so full of misinformation tho I had to comment.

We use round up to control the weeds in the fields.....before that we used cultivation.....haven't ever in my life seen any field hands weeding in the field. We farmers use less chemicals and fertilizers per square foot of ground than what city people apply annually to their yards.

x2 and thank you!

Yep, agreed with Katy. There's a LOT if not all of that mentioned that is false.

However, someone stated about certified Organic foods not being GMO - Completely false. Unless you TEST your crops for it upon certification there is no way to be sure. Corn, for example, can be contaminated by someone else' GMO crop easier than you think, and, you certainly won't know you're growing contaminated seed unless it is tested. There have been reports of GM Corn being tested positive in crops that were more than 200 miles from the nearest known GMO crop.
wink.png

I mean, if I bought some corn seed from a guy who grew his own stuff next to someone else who had a GM crop, but none of us took that into consideration, I'm very likely buying seeds fertilized by GM corn. And because most corn varieties out there are yellow dent, there's little telling just by looking.

Wind pollination is a dangerous thing when you don't want what your neighbors have, even if they're far away.

It's been shown in studies that a 150' buffer between GMO and non-GMO corn is a wide enough buffer zone to contain the cross pollination......I don't think it's going to travel 200 miles!!

So those of you who are farmers, what do you feed your livestock? do you grow your own? buy from feed stores, I want to give my animals the best I can as well as my family but buying organic is way beyond us since we are retired and on a fixed income. I have never had any problems feeding Purina Flock Raiser to my flock but so far they are young 4 years and under for all but my ducks which are 7&8 years.I would be lieing if I didn't say I am worried about the food I am buying now human and animal.

Quote:
We grow all our cattle feed (not organic or GMO free) and I feed some of the grain we grow to my chickens, but I also buy poultry feed from our local mill which is made from grains that are locally grown.........not organic nor GMO free.

I fed Purina for a period of time, but do not like the vegetarian diet for my poultry. They are not naturally vegetarians and I personally think they benefit from an animal product in their feed.

Personally I'm sick of the GMO hysteria.

Quote:
Please site which information is false?
Studies have proven there are issues with GMO products causing infertilty in mice.
Anytime you step outside of what is natural (too many cases to mention)
and alter it there can be unwelcome repercussions which are not alway evident at first.
Monsanto doesn't harass farmers?!!
I guess you've missed more than a few very important documented cases.
Maybe the doubters should watch the documentary "The The Future of Food"
Monsanto is an evil empire that wants to control to worlds food IMO.
Control the food, control the people. How's that hysterial?
The future will determine who was right or wrong
I'm concerned what those revelations might bring.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
Quote:

The wasted meaning seeds that generated from the previous crop. Farmers were not allowed to use them or sell them. They are considered property of Monsanto. Yes, wasted seeds was the wrong term to use.

Here are a few items that will explain differently. The show was very informative and I hope it is shown on tv again. You have to wonder about these giant companies that minipulate and use chemicals on seeds that eventually enter our systems. It's not just chickens, geese, etc. We are injesting these chemicals. This is not always good for people, the company yes, people no.
http://www.grist.org/sustainable-fo...s-organic-farmers-sue-monsanto-over-gmo-seeds
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2008/05/monsanto200805

Quote:
Please site which information is false?
Studies have proven there are issues with GMO products causing infertilty in mice.
Anytime you step outside of what is natural (too many cases to mention)
and alter it there can be unwelcome repercussions which are not alway evident at first.
Monsanto doesn't harass farmers?!!
I guess you've missed more than a few very important documented cases.
Maybe the doubters should watch the documentary "The The Future of Food"
Monsanto is an evil empire that wants to control to worlds food IMO.
Control the food, control the people. How's that hysterial?
The future will determine who was right or wrong
I'm concerned what those revelations might bring.

Edited for typos

I've watched nearly every food documentary out there, thanks.

I never said it was hysterial, and I never said Monsanto was a good Corporation either, but Monsanto does not bully all farmers. They certainly don't bully me or any other farmers I know in my state.

Yes, studies have proven infertility happens in GMO crops, never said that was false either.

I don't know what you're getting at, because the main things I said were false were in the previous passage, quoted and broken down here -

I did see a farm show about farmers being bullied by Monsanto. Monsanto has genetically messed with soy. Monsanto is the only place farmers can get soy bean seeds and they are not allowed to use the wasted seeds or they will have a problem.

- False. Monsanto is NOT the only place you get Soy. And, what "wasted" seeds are you talking about?

Also, In order to grow soybeans a chemical is used to stop weeds which do away with farm hands in the field.

It's called Roundup. Gardeners use it commonly at home. And I've yet to meet someone who weeds an entire crop by hand, or hires farm-hands to weed it. In fact in the old days, one way to prevent weed growth was called the Three Sisters method, which I myself use in some of my crops.

It was a very disturbing program. Made me think about things that's for sure. I do believe GMO's have become a problem in all foods and not just animal feed. Companyies do use GMO's in everything and it's not a good thing.

False again. Not all food is genetically modified and not all companies use GM food.

In case you didn't read any of my other posts on corn growing, etc - I don't grow GM crops in fact I purchase seed that is TESTED non-GMO unlike most who think an "Organic" label smacked on means it isn't GMO. I also only use one chemical in my crops, and it is 1-3 months before I plant it. That chemical is Round-Up.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom