Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I am sort of lost after trying to read this thread, lol. I I am not so much against GMO, I think it's basically a sped up version of what we've been doing with out crops and animals for years by selective breeding.
hide.gif

That said, I would like to know if anyone has tips on finding a local mill? I would like to find a more local source for my birds food. I figure, the less far it has to travel, the fresher it will be and the more nutrients it will contain. I'm smack dab in the middle of the midwest, surrounded by corn, and think it's silly to buy from a feed store where the feed was probably grown an hour from here, shipped 2 or 3 times to be processed and bagged and warehoused and then finally purchased by me. I plan on growing some grains to supplement my flock, but don't have the space/time/motivation to even attempt to try to grow their grains or provide as balanced a diet as they can provide. And I'd rather feed fresh GMO corn then old stale organic corn that may have little nutritional value left by the time it gets to my birds.

Ok. I am sort of lost after trying to read this thread, lol. I I am not so much against GMO, I think it's basically a sped up version of what we've been doing with out crops and animals for years by selective breeding.
hide.gif

That said, I would like to know if anyone has tips on finding a local mill? I would like to find a more local source for my birds food. I figure, the less far it has to travel, the fresher it will be and the more nutrients it will contain. I'm smack dab in the middle of the midwest, surrounded by corn, and think it's silly to buy from a feed store where the feed was probably grown an hour from here, shipped 2 or 3 times to be processed and bagged and warehoused and then finally purchased by me. I plan on growing some grains to supplement my flock, but don't have the space/time/motivation to even attempt to try to grow their grains or provide as balanced a diet as they can provide. And I'd rather feed fresh GMO corn then old stale organic corn that may have little nutritional value left by the time it gets to my birds.

Hi Julie, thats the problem for me, no feed mills anywhere close and evidently our feed stores within a 50 mile radius have a contract with certain companies mostly Purina so we don't have much choice when buying feed for our birds. I have fed Purina Flock Raiser for going on 9 years and as far as I can tell as of now no serious problems my birds still produce young and they are all born without any deformanities, but I would still like to Not feed GMO feed to my animals. I won't eat it and try real hard to buy products that don't have it in it, But unless we purchase Organic feed and food we are consuming it. I even drove close to 100 miles round trip to buy organic feed and my birds didn't even like it so I ended up mixing it back with the FR to keep from it going to waste, Hopefully their are folks in your part of the country that can help you out as for any milling companies close to you. I think this debate will go on for as long as we live and breathe, I am with Cottage Rose, Thank God we still live in a country where we can speak our minds and choose what we eat. All the best.

Hi Julie, thats the problem for me, no feed mills anywhere close and evidently our feed stores within a 50 mile radius have a contract with certain companies mostly Purina so we don't have much choice when buying feed for our birds. I have fed Purina Flock Raiser for going on 9 years and as far as I can tell as of now no serious problems my birds still produce young and they are all born without any deformanities, but I would still like to Not feed GMO feed to my animals. I won't eat it and try real hard to buy products that don't have it in it, But unless we purchase Organic feed and food we are consuming it. I even drove close to 100 miles round trip to buy organic feed and my birds didn't even like it so I ended up mixing it back with the FR to keep from it going to waste, Hopefully their are folks in your part of the country that can help you out as for any milling companies close to you. I think this debate will go on for as long as we live and breathe, I am with Cottage Rose, Thank God we still live in a country where we can speak our minds and choose what we eat. All the best.

Thanks Miss Lydia. I would like to feed organic, I just think fresher feed would be a better choice for me especially because of where I'm loceted. Most of my birds eat very little feed. I feed as much fresh food as possible. I keep less than 20 birds on about an acre and a half, and they have an adjoining 2 acres they can forage on. They are now,in the middle of winter only going through a bag of feed a month. I plan on planting tons of peas and greens for the ducks and geese. I might try some wheat, but have a feeling it'll just be mowed under.
hmm.png
The only organic feed I've seen around here I'd have to drive an hour to get and pay twice as much. I'd rather use that money and time towards growing as much as possible.
I just want the best for my birds too.
big_smile.png

Thanks Miss Lydia. I would like to feed organic, I just think fresher feed would be a better choice for me especially because of where I'm loceted. Most of my birds eat very little feed. I feed as much fresh food as possible. I keep less than 20 birds on about an acre and a half, and they have an adjoining 2 acres they can forage on. They are now,in the middle of winter only going through a bag of feed a month. I plan on planting tons of peas and greens for the ducks and geese. I might try some wheat, but have a feeling it'll just be mowed under.
hmm.png
The only organic feed I've seen around here I'd have to drive an hour to get and pay twice as much. I'd rather use that money and time towards growing as much as possible.
I just want the best for my birds too.
big_smile.png

I know eactly what your saying, I am going to try to plant a few things this spring too, we live on the side of a mountain so not too good for growing unless your a goat but i am going to do more grow boxes and try to at least grow some millet. My birds all free range and during the spring and summer months find most of what they eat as well but it's during the lean winter months that I try to find greens on sale at the grocery store and make oatmeal with peas in it they just got that for today along with their regular feed. If feed keeps going sky high we'll all be looking for alternatives to feeding our flocks. I think you are doing a good job and we all just try to do the best we can.

Thanks for the Interesting thread here that deserves discussion.

Here are a couple of Quotes from Iowa farmers made just this week in a crop discussion......... :

HINT : conv corn = conventional corn ( NON-GMO )

Farmer 1 :
" Thanks, we have alot of guys going back to conv corn, as there yields have been better than there traited corn and with not alot of bug pressure, it works great especially on the rotated fields, We have sold 4 X as many conv corn for next year and was up about 3 X last year. looking like a trend and for $150/ bag not a bad choice as long as the bug pressure is down, "

Farmer 2 :

" When guys in North East Iowa are already adding Insecticide to Smart Staxx Corn what is the Point in paying that High Dollar for that Seed when just like you Said the Conventional's are running right with the Staxx and even if the bugs do come Just put the insecticide on and your Still money ahead Rather than paying Monsanto and Dow for all there Technology... I am going all 100% Conv Corn in 2013 this year I am 2/3 just RR and 1/3 VT3 on Rotation Ground... just my 2 cents worth.. Good luck on Finding a Market.. "

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the Interesting thread here that deserves discussion.

Here are a couple of Quotes from Iowa farmers made just this week in a crop discussion......... :

HINT : conv corn = conventional corn ( NON-GMO )

Farmer 1 :
" Thanks, we have alot of guys going back to conv corn, as there yields have been better than there traited corn and with not alot of bug pressure, it works great especially on the rotated fields, We have sold 4 X as many conv corn for next year and was up about 3 X last year. looking like a trend and for $150/ bag not a bad choice as long as the bug pressure is down, "

Farmer 2 :

" When guys in North East Iowa are already adding Insecticide to Smart Staxx Corn what is the Point in paying that High Dollar for that Seed when just like you Said the Conventional's are running right with the Staxx and even if the bugs do come Just put the insecticide on and your Still money ahead Rather than paying Monsanto and Dow for all there Technology... I am going all 100% Conv Corn in 2013 this year I am 2/3 just RR and 1/3 VT3 on Rotation Ground... just my 2 cents worth.. Good luck on Finding a Market.. "

I just read through this thread. I guess what I find most surprising is that the pro-gmo camp is so radical. Why is it so difficult to accept that different people have different opinions? It's like getting furious at someone for the political party they advocate!

In the European Union, fresh produce has to indicate on the label whether or not it's GMO... not only that, but foods containing GM additives have to say so on the label. In the US a petition to have GM foods labeled as such was filed this past October by the Center for Food Safety. This begs the question - if people don't have any issue eating GM foods, why not just label and give the consumer the choice? The answer is probably that a lot of people feel uneasy about GM foods, and would maybe choose not to buy them if they had the choice.

Btw although I'm not sure if it's available everywhere, Fertrell's feed doesn't contain GM grain. It costs maybe $2 or $3 more than Flock Raiser for a 50lb sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom