Go on, admit it... Do you talk to your chickens?

On this farm, we certainly DO talk to animals - whether they are pets or farm animals. All living things are treated as "people" around here and they all have names.They always get greeted in the morning and sent off to bed with a "good night, sleep tight" wish too. When they misbehave, they are called and shamed by name, just like I would do with the kids, cats and dogs.
lol.png
The ladies also get thanked for each egg they lay and I always tell them what a hardworking bunch of feathered creatures they are.
I had a Buff Orpington hen (Tiffany). She just loved being picked up and talked to - especially by my husband. She would lay her head against his chest, close her eyes and start crooning softly as if she finds the sound of his voice soothing.
smile.png

Talking to your animals helps build a relationship with them. And chickens are smart, they understand better than we give them credit for - and will give you a reply in return.

I am constantly talking to my 41 hens, 3 roosters & 3 turkeys. I don't just use human talk. I will crow with my roosters, gobble at my turkeys, cluck & squawk with my hens. I have a Rhode Island Red, named Feisty, who will squawk back. We carry on a great "squawkversation", some lasting at least 5 minutes. Don't know what we are talking about but it's fun & Feisty seems to like it. Of course, she's a pretty good companion when I'm in the chicken yard, always under my feet.

I talk to my chickens, and I feel no shame in doing so. In fact, I encourage all chicken owners to talk to their chickens. Chickens are very vocal creatures, and they respond to tone of voice. Talking to them helps reinforce the fact that you are a friend and ally and not something out to eat them.

Whenever one of my roos starts to act like he doesn't know what to think of me, I talk to him a bit to calm him down. Doesn't have to be a deep conversation, just something soft and friendly like "Hey there, handsome. How's it going?" He then goes about his business, reassured that I am not plotting to cause him harm.

Guilty as charged!

My gals and I have great conversations and they know their names.

Every Sunday afternoon we all sit down and they share a slice of cheese. I break off a small piece and give it to them in turn as I say their name. Never in the same order so that they have learnt their name, not the order in which the cheese is given.

PS. Any time we are in the garden we now have to spell out c-h-e-e-s-e because they know the word!

I have a little whinger, Dusty, if I ask her how her day is going she proceeds to tell me in no uncertain terms that it is not going well, apparently Dusty never has a good day!

If hubby lets the gals out for their supervised free range before I get home as soon as they hear my voice they all come running to meet me.

My frequent question of "whatya doing?" always gets answered
wink.png

If Cilla, my matriarch, is getting a little bossy I just have to call her name in a raised voice and she stops being bossy and gives me that "not me Mum" look.

I cannot imagine, feeding, coop cleaning, gardening etc without having a running conversation with the ladies :)

Last edited:
I chat to my chickens all the time. My partner ( who is very reserved !! ) keeps grizzling at me "what do you think the neighbours will think " ? I reply " don't give a tuppeny darn" ... and go on talkiing.

Chickens are very much more intelligent than we give them credit for. When locking them up earlier than normal, I only have to repeat 'bed, bed, bed' .... to them and they waddle happily into their coops to take up residence for the remainder of the day and then evening. They NEVER disobey that command.

If free ranging, they come back into their run, when they hear me in the laundry, preparing their mash. If NOT preparing mash, they don't bother. Going out there and saying " where are you" ... has them running ( and that's soooo cute to watch ) towards me, wanting to know what it is I am on about ( which is not always anything at all ).

I am trying to teach them the word "No" with only small success so far. One chicken obeys ( my Welsummer ) .... while my Rhode Island Red, will argue the point ( especially if it is too wet to go free ranging ) ..... she tries her best to get out. All wings clipped, Molly RIR still flips up at me, to get her own way. It doesn't work.

They are truly priceless, and I love the inter-action I get from my chooks. Molly has established herself as head of everything - including our Golden Retriever, Miss Ruby. Ruby backs off when near the wire fence or wooden trellis, as she knows if Molly gets half a chance she will peck Rubys' ears, nose, face. I have however, never found any bloodied peck marks on Ruby ... so Molly is not being nasty - just dominant.

Keep talkin' folks ........ it does you - and your chooks, the world of good.

Last edited:
I think I would be more surprised to hear someone on here say they don't talk to their birds. Lol. I was having coffee with mine this morning and almost lost a toe. We all discussed how delicious chicken soup is this time of year an dhow freeloaders needed to get busy. The I realized I had been in my Coop for a 1/2 hour chatting.

I think I would be more surprised to hear someone on here say they don't talk to their birds. Lol. I was having coffee with mine this morning and almost lost a toe. We all discussed how delicious chicken soup is this time of year an dhow freeloaders needed to get busy. The I realized I had been in my Coop for a 1/2 hour chatting.
Hahaha!!! Time flies when spending it with chickens!!! :eek:)

Yeah i love talking to my Lady's i taught baby girl one of my larger hens how to protect me ageist my meaner rooster if he starts pecking at my feet i call her and she sits on him (he is a extra small bantam) like an egg
clap.gif
. Its sad thought sometimes it feels like my chickens are smarter then the people i know. They can free range without dieing, avoid falling in the ducks pond, hide eggs, put them selves in bed at night and my brother can't figure out how to take out the trash on time
smack.gif

Always..they are my girls and most have names, especially if they have lived in the house because of illness or injury.
They follow me everywhere I go on the property and talk to me continually.They like to be picked up and petted. Yes, they are special.

Back
Top Bottom