Go team "Tube Feeding!" - Updated 12/29/2019

Pics
Thank you so much for this thread and the link to where you buy your supplies! I greatly appreciate having all this information in a central place. I could not find anything locally. Had a chick born with wry neck and I am currently syringe feeding them drop by drop, which is of course not as satisfying to them, riskier, and much more stress to the both of us. They are a tiny serama, so here is hoping an 8 isn't too big.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure eventually I'll have to use this info, so I'm subscribing. VERY informative, I love the photos of the digestive tract. When I went to classes in high school 4H they'd just show us by gutting a bird. XD

When cutting off the end of a catheter, should I consider melting or sanding the end? I have a RIR hen with wry neck who is in need of tube feeding, and I'm afraid the cut plastic may scrape her throat.

Last edited:
When cutting off the end of a catheter, should I consider melting or sanding the end? I have a RIR hen with wry neck who is in need of tube feeding, and I'm afraid the cut plastic may scrape her throat.
What does your catheter look like? No need to cut the end if it's one of these:

-Kathy

Yes, that is what they look like - I purchased them from the supplier you listed. Thanks!

The only ones I cut are the ones I used on chicks, and I do melt the end. All larger birds, like over 500 grams I use it as is. Just be sure to get the tube all the way into the crop. :D

-Kathy

I hate to be that person that is asking a question that the answer might be in front of my nose but I really need to know how much to tube feed a chicken. Is there a standard amount per pound of bird?

I hate to be that person that is asking a question that the answer might be in front of my nose but I really need to know how much to tube feed a chicken. Is there a standard amount per pound of bird?

Very smart question as that is not talked about in this thread. Also not mentioned is the importance of giving fluids first. That said, I can tell you that I start by giving just fluids until I'm pretty sure they are properly hydrated.

Total crop volume is said to be 5% of their body weight, but experts suggest giving 1/3 or 1/2 of that when starting out. When tubing one of mine I will start by giving a 1000 gram bird 15-25ml of warmed Gatorade or Pedialyte. Repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop ha mostly cleared, then at least one or two more times at 2-4 hour intervals. Once they are pooping clear liquid I will tube Kaytee baby bird food mixed at 1 part food, 2.5-3 parts water, and this I do 2-4 times a day. Tubing is part science, part art, so start with the minimum amount, and each time you tube, try adding a little more, but don't exceed the 5% by too much.

Does that help? If you need help figuring out how to give, let me know and I'll help you come up with a plan.

-Kathy

Yes! That helps a lot. I have been giving small amounts more often as to not overwhelm her system. (Think eating a big Thanksgiving dinner while having a stomach bug) I've also been making her Kaytee baby bird food very watery with electrolyte water to make sure she's getting proper hydration. I've seen her drink but can't full well know how many fluids she's taking in with her quart water supply. She is also under a heat lamp so with the increased temp under that I want to make sure she has proper hydration. I'll give her electrolyte water in between meals. With the poops she's been having I'd say she needs hydration. They're pretty runny.

Back
Top Bottom