🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Step 1:
Bring duck inside and place in a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal (watch for signs of over-heating).

Step 2:
Weigh the duck

Step 3:
Once warmed, correct hydration and this should not be done until the duck is warmed up. Tube warmed (102 degrees) Pedialyte or Gatorade at 14 ml per pound of body weight, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat. If no poop is produced by 3 hours after first tubing, repeat once more.

Step 4:
Once the duck is pooping you can start tubing warmed Kaytee Exact baby bird food or a non-lay crumble (lay crumble has too much calcium). Start by tubing 14 ml per pound of body weight and increase a little at each feeding. Do not exceed 23 ml per pound of body weight. Sick birds are tube fed 2-4 times a day.

"Tube feeding, also known as gavage feeding, is an essential part of avian supportive care. Sick birds are often presented with a history of anorexia, and glycogen stores may be depleted within hours in the granivore (including psitacine, passerine and galliform species) secondary to a relatively high metabolic rate. Another important indication for gavage feeding is a documented drop in body weight of 5% to 10%."
Source: https://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/

The duck crop looks like the one on the left:
crop_types_1-jpg.1202205

More tube feeding info here:
Updated - Go team "Tube Feeding!"

Below is a good article that I found on the web:
https://www.teediddlydee.com/how-to-tube-feed-sick-ducks/
How to Tube Feed Sick Ducks

Last edited:
I had a WH drake that I had to tube feed after he got attacked by a predator. The back of his head got torn open and when it scabbed up he lost a lot of mobility and couldn't eat well. The vet I brought him to showed me how to do it.

Since then I've found it very useful for when a bird is feeling so sick they don't want to eat, and you just need to get them through until they're feeling a bit better. It's also very useful for birds with beak deformities that are otherwise healthy but can't eat well on their own.

I have to say that learning how to tube feed has been a God send!! I have used it mostly to give meds. They get the full dose of medication without having to worry about them aspirating while trying to get the syringe far enough in their mouth. I can keep them hydrated when the aren't drinking. If they need nourishment and refuse to eat you can supplement them. I've learned a lot about providing medical care for my chickens...and tube feeding is one of the most valuable skills I have learned! Thank you @casportpony as it was your posts on the subject that convinced me that I needed to learn this skill and all of the information you shared prepared me to do it. I've saved two of my girls by using tube feeding. :highfive:

I am going to swing low on my crop holding capacity and opt for more frequent feedings as I want to get a high energy boost with pain and antibiotics for the day.

I dont have any formulas listed for waterfowl so I making my own and creating a list of things I might need. I want her fed in an hour...

I might just do something like ensure...for dogs..or just ensure for people, or baby food...Im looking for alternatives now.

I should do this on the other thread...sorry.

I think that would be fine.
Hopefully @casportpony can help you out more. I ordered the baby bird food from Amazon along with all I need to tube feed, My lil Runner passed away before it all got here even with prime but I am ready if I never need it again.

I wish you the best I have wormed using the small syringe and going down on the left side[duck facing you] so I know it's pretty easy to get that tube in there. You will have help I hope especially for the first 2 times at least. You'll be a pro after that. lol

Back
Top Bottom