Go team "Tube Feeding!" - Updated 12/29/2019

Pics
Money saving tube feeding tip. Baby bird food is expensive, right? Well I just tried an experiment... Took some turkey starter crumbles, soaked them in warm water for about an hour, then used a stick blender until smooth. Doing this crumbles pass easily thru a size 18 French catheter.

-Kathy

Kathy - My apologies if I missed it, but how do you clean/disinfect your syringes and catheters?
I'm interested in what others do. One post described flushing with boiling water, then vinegar, and finally boiling water again.

Kathy - My apologies if I missed it, but how do you clean/disinfect your syringes and catheters?

I'm interested in what others do. One post described flushing with boiling water, then vinegar, and finally boiling water again.
Gosh, I use just hot water and soap most of the time, but have been known to use boiling water, bleach or chlorhexidine.

-Kathy

Quote: I've tried soaking in bleach, alcohol, vinegar or Virkon-S - all damaged the plunger seals. Now I flush syringes, feeding tubes, etc. in hot water, then soak them in hydrogen peroxide until the next use - this is much gentler on the rubber or other seal materials and they last a lot longer. Note I haven't done swabs to see if bacteria, and other nasties are left, but so far, so good...

Quote:
I've tried soaking in bleach, alcohol, vinegar or Virkon-S - all damaged the plunger seals. Now I flush syringes, feeding tubes, etc. in hot water, then soak them in hydrogen peroxide until the next use - this is much gentler on the rubber or other seal materials and they last a lot longer. Note I haven't done swabs to see if bacteria, and other nasties are left, but so far, so good...
I don't worry too much about the syringes, those I just wash with hot water and soap. Once the plunger starts sticking, I found that mineral oil will keep them going a little longer. It's the tubes I worry the most about... for example, if I tube a pigeon with canker, then tube a pea with that same tube, I really want to be sure I don't accidentally give the pea canker.

25 for $9.99 These are the cheapest we could find and they last much longer than the more expensive brands.
http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/syringe-60cc-catheter-tip-25-box-MV60CCCT/mvi-syringes-needles

20416_16013_large.jpg

Help | Tell a Friend | Printable Version
Med-Vet Syringes 60cc Catheter Tip 25/bx

Item#: MV60CCCT
Vendor: Oasis
Price:$9.99
Quantity:

Product Description:
Individual Soft Pack
  • Bold Graduation
    • ISO-9002, CE, FDA registered

Product Details: