GOAL: Chicken Coop for under $50 with Pallets! (**Progress Pics!**)

I was inspired to make a similar design from your plans when I ran into the problem that I have nowhere to get free plywood. It's pretty rare around here to find plywood for free...

I changed my design after that. I could deconstruct old shelving units that people give away for free around here. Using the space inside the pallets for insulation (by packing in newspapers) I could use particle board backs inside the coop and the sturdier shelves, sides tops and bottoms on the outside. Then just paint the whole thing with weatherproofing paint. The coop I have planned isn't as big as yours but it does look pretty nice. (On paper at least!)

I was inspired to make a similar design from your plans when I ran into the problem that I have nowhere to get free plywood. It's pretty rare around here to find plywood for free...

I changed my design after that. I could deconstruct old shelving units that people give away for free around here. Using the space inside the pallets for insulation (by packing in newspapers) I could use particle board backs inside the coop and the sturdier shelves, sides tops and bottoms on the outside. Then just paint the whole thing with weatherproofing paint. The coop I have planned isn't as big as yours but it does look pretty nice. (On paper at least!)
Ya, we reallllly lucked out with the free plywood. Before I knew we had the access to the free plywood, i started thinking that i was going to have to start dumpster diving. there is a big construction project near my work and it't crazy what they throw away. Getting the guts to ask one of the workers if i could help myself to their dumpsters wouldn't have been easy...at first =)

Other people have suggested Habitat for Humanity as well. I don't know what their price are like, i have yet to need to head over there yet, but you might see if there is one near you. Sounds like you have a good plan though working with the particle boards and stuff. It's all about reusing resources and its best when its free!!

Good luck!

Just curious - have you hit $50 yet?
tongue.png

I've 'lost' my receipts but I'd guess that I'm pushing $175 on my "free" coop. I've finished all the "got-to-do's" and have now gotten sucked into the "want-really-really-bad's". As soon as I finished the last little bit of work on the 'temp' run - I've got to rent a trencher so I can run electricity and water from the barn to the coop - and then there's the other roll of wire for the bigger-is-better run - and of course, there's GOT to be paint.....
big_smile.png

Just curious - have you hit $50 yet?
tongue.png

I've 'lost' my receipts but I'd guess that I'm pushing $175 on my "free" coop. I've finished all the "got-to-do's" and have now gotten sucked into the "want-really-really-bad's". As soon as I finished the last little bit of work on the 'temp' run - I've got to rent a trencher so I can run electricity and water from the barn to the coop - and then there's the other roll of wire for the bigger-is-better run - and of course, there's GOT to be paint.....
big_smile.png

We are still at $15.00 spent!

Buuuuut I still have to buy the paint for it, and some more chicken fencing, those will be the biggest expenses. I think that is all that we need to buy besides one or two remaining pieces of plywood.

We'll see if i can make the goal of under $50.00!! =)

We only work on the coop on the weekends. This weekend we will fill in some small holes, probably get the vinyl down and the wall inside up.
oh ya thats one more expense. We are going to put plywood inside up to about waist high just to enclose it more and insulate it more for winter. I think that will be about 4 pieces of plywood so we need a total of 6 more. Someone commented on here a while ago saying something about boards that HD has for super cheap so i'll check that out.

Yours sounds like the mechanics will be much better than ours. Someday, I will have a beautiful coop with everything i want and wont have to worry as much about cost =)
I dont mind doing it all ourselves though. its a fun outlet of creativity and useful resources.

We are still at $15.00 spent!

Buuuuut I still have to buy the paint for it,
I posted on Freecycle recently asking for clear coat for a chair I'd painted. I had 3 responses and while one can was really old, I was able to finish my chair without paying for anything more.
You never know what people have hanging out in their basement or garage.
Great job and GL!

I had quite the eveneful morning today.

peacocks in out backyard!!

I was nervous at one point that one would jump into our chicken run!

Here is a vid of the big pretty one.

there are a couple other vids on my blog of some white ones that showed up too!! click HERE for more vids

I had quite the eveneful morning today.

peacocks in out backyard!!

I was nervous at one point that one would jump into our chicken run!

Here is a vid of the big pretty one.

there are a couple other vids on my blog of some white ones that showed up too!! click HERE for more vids
Maybe it stopped by to give a coop critique.

Well we took a break from the coop this weekend so there has been no progress made. It has been so hot here so we took it easy this weekend. Hopefully we will get a bunch done this next weekend!

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday! It is by far my favorite holiday!!

Back
Top Bottom