GOAL: Chicken Coop for under $50 with Pallets! (**Progress Pics!**)

I love your pallet coop! We did the same thing! We live next to tractor company. When they get in new equipment part of it is shipped in large wooden containers. They throw the containers into a pit to burn at a later date. We got permission from the owners of the company to get a few of them. They are actually large pallets, but they also have a lid that is the same exact size as the bottom. All I have to do is buy the 2x4's and screw to the bottom, place the top on and then apply plywood to the sides. I also make a door and a few windows. I have people stopping and asking me all the time if I will sell them one of my chicken coops! So far I have built 4. I have 3 incubators and I sell the chickens. So far the 4 coops stay full of chickens.

so pretty!
they showed up in our back yard again. this time I got some better pics. i posted them on my blog:
http://ashleewray.blogspot.com/2012/07/peacocks-are-back.html
Not to thread jack, but I had a darn peacock in my yard the other day too! No idea where it came from as we're surrounded by forest and farm land...but he was SO big. His tail was about 5' long...I'm not even exaggerating either. lol

I came home and there he was, laying under one of the trees.

WOW... he is georgous!!! I love peacocks!! are you gonna keep it??

Heck no! Peacocks SCREAM...I mean literally, they sound like someone is murdering a small child when they holler. I don't want anything to do with that :) Plus, all the peacocks I've met have been really aggressive...I don't need anything in my back yard chasing me around when I go outside. Lol.

He was gorgeous though. I can't imagine where he came from.

Heck no! Peacocks SCREAM...I mean literally, they sound like someone is murdering a small child when they holler. I don't want anything to do with that :) Plus, all the peacocks I've met have been really aggressive...I don't need anything in my back yard chasing me around when I go outside. Lol.

The people we bought our house from had a bunch of birds and they were trying to sell them all before we closed. They were down to 3 peacocks and asked us if we'd take them. We had them for a few years. Fortunately, they only yell during the spring. These boys were very skittish but were never aggressive. I never did get them to tame down, though. We still have tons of beautiful feathers from them!

The folks who gave me the shed that is now my coop have dozens of peacocks running around loose all over their property. Their grandkids LOVE to sneak up behind the males when they've got their tails all fanned out and 'tickle' their fluffy butts. They've never had one show the tiny-est bit of aggression - except to each other during breeding season.

The peacocks that were on our college campus would scream and chase you....any time of year. They were very unfriendly, loud birds...maybe it was just those then? I assumed all peacocks were mean and loud. lol.

The screaming is why they're such great guard birds.
My family in the foothills in CA has had peacocks for protection for years. Their scream will definitely alert you to danger although sometimes 'danger' is just your neighbors dog. lol

gig.gif
OMG! That would suck! They are really expensive, I would love to have one but the screeching would be a problem for my neighbors!!

Back
Top Bottom