GOAL: Chicken Coop for under $50 with Pallets! (**Progress Pics!**)

The peacocks that were on our college campus would scream and chase you....any time of year. They were very unfriendly, loud birds...maybe it was just those then? I assumed all peacocks were mean and loud. lol.
You have to think too though, how many immature college students chased them and tormented them over the years.... maybe they were "turned" aggressive... It happens with alot of animals

shelbear thanks for the tip!! I will definitely check it out!
Hey now problem! I was wondering if anyone has thought of contacting a rescue organization for the peacocks? I know they aren't hurting anyone but the fact is, once winter comes they might not survive. Just asking... It seems to me that they need someone to take care of them more than just feeding them once in a while.

Last edited:
I haven't updated in awhile

We are still waiting for the rest of the linoleum so we can finish up this coop!
Hopefully I will have some by this weekend. I guess sometimes when you get stuff for free, you pay the price in time =)

In other news, we are down two chickens =( Our two silkies turned out to be roosters. It was sad to see them go.

But on the bright side, we are getting 5 more older hens from our uncles neighbor who just hatched 50 chicks and needs to make room.

we are told they will lay every other day for another year so hopefully that is true!

In a matter of a couple weeks our flock will have gone from 7 to 5 then up to 10!

Last edited:
if anybody wants to go by home depot. they have culled wood for cheap. last week i went to home depot and got myself 6 sheets of plywood for flooring. they were 4 feet long but all i paid was 51 cents each. is that a deal or not? :)
Thanks for such a great idea!! We have a Home Depot and a Lowe's here, so it might work out by asking them!

What a great idea for a coop. I've checked CL for pallets as well, and there are plenty of companies around here that have pallets. It may be a good idea to start asking!

I came across something on pinterest about pallets being dangerous to chickens due to how they are processed. has anyone had any experience with this? I am currently building a pallet coop and now I am feeling hesitant... Thanks!

I didn't see anyone mention the "ooops" paint at Home Depot. The paint dept always has what they call "ooops" paint. Paint that was mixed wrong or that the customer returned. Check it out. You can find a great deal.

Bugs

I havent heard that but most pallets are treated. I have used pallets for everything from our coop to our compost bin and even our headboard! The ones i used for the headboard i cleaned and scrubbed with bleach before i used them in case of any chmical treatment hazard or danger. You could just do the same thign if you are worried about the chickens. We have had no issus and have have been living in there happily.

I havent heard that but most pallets are treated. I have used pallets for everything from our coop to our compost bin and even our headboard! The ones i used for the headboard i cleaned and scrubbed with bleach before i used them in case of any chmical treatment hazard or danger. You could just do the same thign if you are worried about the chickens. We have had no issus and have have been living in there happily.

Well all our hard work on our coop is now someone elses....

We moved recently and we had to leave the coop we built.

We opted this time for a pre made coop (much more expensive but convenient for our current needs)

Here is a pic (and more pics and description if you click HERE)

Back
Top Bottom