Goat Genetics

Sep 25, 2020
Forestville, NY
Hello everyone, I’m new to goats and this year will be my first attempt at breeding and like everything else I have to start on hard mode.

As in I want start a breed up program for mini alpines.

So, I have two beautiful American Alpines, Mira and her mother Miley and I have purchased a great looking Nigerian buckling in March, I thought I was all set with bucks and as I went to look at some Nigerian doelings yesterday the breeder had a beautiful blonde buckling. I have it on reserve as a wether but I can’t help but think im making a mistake because maybe those would be gorgeous babies!

So my question is, what color/pattern is Mira my Alpine(the black and white one), and what color would the babies look like with a blonde sire?

Attachments

• 6ABA5DE2-DCC3-48D3-AFC7-65ED3467F077.jpeg
    6ABA5DE2-DCC3-48D3-AFC7-65ED3467F077.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 45DA1291-3F7C-4C45-93BB-58B5BC7D3405.jpeg
    45DA1291-3F7C-4C45-93BB-58B5BC7D3405.jpeg
    626 KB · Views: 7
I have no idea what colors your babies would be. Color is something I never bred for and I never kept track of. I never knew any goat breeder who did except for one Nubian breeder who wanted spotted kids. I bred for general conformation, udder attachment, milk production, and, to a small degree, temperament. If they were a pretty color, that was a bonus, but then I think all the standard Alpine color patterns are pretty. I can tell you this though. White is pretty dominant. If you breed a Saanen to anything chances are the babies will be white. Chamoisees, my least favorite color, usually, but not always, produce chamoisees. If you are breeding Alpines you do want the kids to look like Alpines.

I have no idea what colors your babies would be. Color is something I never bred for and I never kept track of. I never knew any goat breeder who did except for one Nubian breeder who wanted spotted kids. I bred for general conformation, udder attachment, milk production, and, to a small degree, temperament. If they were a pretty color, that was a bonus, but then I think all the standard Alpine color patterns are pretty. I can tell you this though. White is pretty dominant. If you breed a Saanen to anything chances are the babies will be white. Chamoisees, my least favorite color, usually, but not always, produce chamoisees. If you are breeding Alpines you do want the kids to look like Alpines.
Thank you, for replying. I’m just getting started on mini alpines, but I figured color is a good way to go since a lot of minis go to pet homes from what ive read, but good lines is definitely still bred with them as the Alpine dam I have is registered and won some awards.
The Nigerian buckling is also from good milking lines but he has not been shown, yet.
I was just concerned id lose beautiful unique colors if I band him since I do favor the gold coloring.

If they are both good breeding prospects, you can just leave them both intact. It takes the same amount of time and money to care for a wether as it does a buck. It's one of the reasons I started with two bucks instead of a buck and wether. And now I have three because I couldn't pass up a great deal on a handsome blonde from great milking lines. :p

I found this thread and was wondering if you could help me with color identification on a young billy we got.
0368AFE1-58CE-47AE-B9C9-4FCA7D61D3B0.jpeg
BE7D5244-B6C0-4FFC-9292-73C198F0A92A.jpeg
D3A82ADA-381D-4FCD-AE80-882532196281.jpeg
he’s probably just a common color that I have yet to see but still input would be appreciate.

Hello everyone, I’m new to goats and this year will be my first attempt at breeding and like everything else I have to start on hard mode.

As in I want start a breed up program for mini alpines.

So, I have two beautiful American Alpines, Mira and her mother Miley and I have purchased a great looking Nigerian buckling in March, I thought I was all set with bucks and as I went to look at some Nigerian doelings yesterday the breeder had a beautiful blonde buckling. I have it on reserve as a wether but I can’t help but think im making a mistake because maybe those would be gorgeous babies!

So my question is, what color/pattern is Mira my Alpine(the black and white one), and what color would the babies look like with a blonde sire?
The doe is a cou clair. If her fore quarters were white rather than beige, she would be a cou blanc.

Back
Top Bottom