Goat worm dewormer sos!!!! ;)

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
Found a beautiful round worm this morning…. I suspect my bantam ameraucanas…. They weigh 300 grams right now…but I also have alot of big chickens. Can I use safeguard goat dewormer? And can I put this into the water and how much? Or is this an oral administration? I have 50 birds currently….do I need to repeat?
1693139223396.jpeg

Attachments

• FF8D10A4-3A09-4665-92DE-DAA9B3F0EFD8.jpeg
    FF8D10A4-3A09-4665-92DE-DAA9B3F0EFD8.jpeg
    587.4 KB · Views: 10
SafeGuard settles out in water. Most of the time the best way is to give it orally. Dosage is 0.23 or close to 1/4 ml per pound of weight once and in 10 days for round worms only. To treat most chicken worms except tapeworms, give it for 5 consecutive days. You can mix it in a small amount of food and water, if they take it all. There is a 14 day egg withdrawal with this dosage.

If you want to just treat roundworms here is a dosage for wet feed for 5 days, with no egg withdrawal:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/

SafeGuard settles out in water. Most of the time the best way is to give it orally. Dosage is 0.23 or close to 1/4 ml per pound of weight once and in 10 days for round worms only. To treat most chicken worms except tapeworms, give it for 5 consecutive days. You can mix it in a small amount of food and water, if they take it all. There is a 14 day egg withdrawal with this dosage.

If you want to just treat roundworms here is a dosage for wet feed for 5 days, with no egg withdrawal:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/

Yes, that's exactly what you should be using but not by adding it to water.
You need to give it to each bird directly to their beak.

Article 'Worming Chickens—Medicines and Dosing Information' https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/worming-chickens—medicines-and-dosing-information.73369/
I was going to do 1/4 cc for my bantams (300g)and 3/4 cc for my big birds….. do I do this for 3 days? Or once and repeat in 10 days? I was also going to do some ivermectin I read this is good combination.

If I did put in water but mixed it up frequently is that ok so it doesn’t settle?

No do not put it in water.
No do not mix it with Ivermectin.
Weigh a few of each size bird to get a good estimate on their weight and give them each .23ml per pound. It is fine to round up to .25 ml per each pound.

Give it once today and again in a week.

No do not put it in water.
No do not mix it with Ivermectin.
Weigh a few of each size bird to get a good estimate on their weight and give them each .23ml per pound. It is fine to round up to .25 ml per each pound.

Give it once today and again in a week.
No egg withdrawl correct?

This is when I am so annoyed I have 50 chickens lol. I did the first dose tonight omg what a trip. My lavender Ameraucanas are mouthy! Does the pic I attached look like a tapeworm or round worm?
I don’t have enough to do 5 days for all. Maybe 3? What do you suggest I do?

This is when I am so annoyed I have 50 chickens lol. I did the first dose tonight omg what a trip. My lavender Ameraucanas are mouthy! Does the pic I attached look like a tapeworm or round worm?
I don’t have enough to do 5 days for all. Maybe 3? What do you suggest I do?
It's a large roundworm. Tapeworms are flat and segmented.

There's nothing saying that you have to worm them all in one day.
You can worm them by breed, for example; RIR's and BR's the 1st day. EE's and BO's the 2nd day. Mixed breeds the 3rd day.

OR you can worm them by coops.

Back
Top Bottom