Goats as a deterent for predators?

Quote:
This reminds me of us before we lost two sweet hennys to a predator last summer. Most likely a raccoon. We had them for over a year, enclosed in a good large fenced area right next to our house, with a (mild) electrified wire. They liked to roost up in the trees at nite and did so for that whole year. Now we have the fence electrified with more than a tickle and lock them up at night. Never did catch the coon but we caught a skunk in our live trap a week or so later. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. Too soon old, too late schmart...
sad.png

I have learned to put flour out around the pen to identify predators (land ones). If you look at the newer Storey's Guide to Chickens, there is also a chart that shows what typical predators do to the birds. It is a good why to identify problem predators. We have learned a variety of tricks to help.

For example we had an old skunk who was a master egg stealer, I blew out an egg and filled it with white vinager, mixed with a the yolk, he stole it that night and didn't come back. Hee Hee.... We are supposed to be smarter then them, we just have to learn to use it!!!

Oh, and I love the old wives tales..

And a funny story,

A couple of years ago we had a serious bear issue. One night the bear finally got in. He killed 20 birds. My son said to go hunt him down and eat him since he ate all our chickens to fatten himself up... (My thought... EWWWWW)

Ok, for the record, no, goats don't help with coyotes!! You need a guard dog, a trap, or a gun to help you against coyotes!! Although, if your chickens have not attracted coyotes, why would goats?

Larger 4 legged animals WILL help SOME against hawks, not ALL hawks, but, hey, some help is better than nothing!! Yes, I have seen hawks swoop down to grab chickens literally right in front of me, some hawks are very very bold, some are not. If you end up with a bold, crazy hawk ( and we have!!), a good rooster will drive it away, as will a GOOD dog. If I lose a chicken to a hawk, I keep all the bird inside for 3 days. The hawk will often move in in that time. In most places, if a hawk is caught in the act, you can kill it. You can't kill it "just because', but, I have had them inside the barn trying to tear thru wire to get chicks!! Same with crows!! Those hawks and crows that are that bold have just got to go!!
somad.gif
: If you are losing birds day after day, it's nearly always the same predator.
Honestly, I have 2 final thoughts here: My poultry are NOT pets, they are productive livestock. If they are in a pen, what's the point? I may as well just buy my meat and eggs at the store if I am going to keep them in pens. If you can't bear losing a pet, then, sure, do whatever you need to do to keep them safe. It all depends on your point in having them. 2nd, the birds hawks take are not the best, IMO. They were poorly adapted in some way. As long as I don't lose more than maybe 5-10% a year, the hawks are doing me a favor by culling weak birds.

Hmmmmmm, sometimes a llama works, or a donkey, sometimes not. When I was researching what to do on our property, I read an occasional, though rare, case where a llama and donkey would use poultry and new-born sheep for toys and accidentally kill them. I think I have a better chance with a dog trained for guard duty myself. Yes, I know. Occasionally you have to get rid of the dog and try a different one. I guess you could do the same with the donkey or llama if you're willing.

Quote:
then you would have to buy a lhama to protect the goats from the coyotes.

Then you have to get LGD for the llama's... Hee Hee Hee, it is a never ending cycle..
clap.gif

Goats are no deterrent for any predator unfortunately - they do however attack one of my donkeys and they do attack my rubber gloves when I am wearing them for yeucky reasons!

I have a wonderful GSD and she is brilliant at protecting all of the animals - she spends all day outside in all weather conditions to oversee all of them - she will chase the buzzards away and I have not lost one bird for months now due to her being protective towards not only my chickens, ducks, geese, donkeys, horses and goats - donkeys are a great deterrent against foxes - they bray loudly and the foxes just run away! The GSD will also kill rats and mice - she is teriffic! She comes in at night exhausted... eats, drinks and wil then lay down in front of the fire and tell her tales of her adventurous day to my lazy GSD male who spends most of his day barking at the feral cat and snoozing.....

Seriously though - please don't rely on any animal to protect from a predator - my chickens do stray from our land and they are vulnerable to all comers - it is a sad fact of life.

The chickens are in an enclosure. i have 2+ acres and I have about 50x50 fenced off with cattle fence covered in chicken wire. They have a 10x12 portable storage building with benches, boxes and roosts built in. I have the goat in the pen I built with them. They are not out foraging my property as I would like, but have a decent size space to pick grass, and exercise regularly. I am hoping since they are confined to the same space as the goat they will get some protection by the constant moving mammal, allowing them to have more of a natural and better life.

Goats are not predator deterrents in any shape or form. And you may be asking for trouble housing your goat in the chicken coop. Don't let your goat get into the chicken feed as it could kill it!

Back
Top Bottom