Gold Laced Orpington- For Learning and Sharing

Pics
Well, just my luck...they're 8 weeks old Saturday and I'm 99% sure that all 4 of them are cockerels. If anyone knows of any breeders in/close to SC or that will ship when the weather is cooler, please let me know.

Well, just my luck...they're 8 weeks old Saturday and I'm 99% sure that all 4 of them are cockerels. If anyone knows of any breeders in/close to SC or that will ship when the weather is cooler, please let me know.

I have Gold Laced and ship to SC. I am in OH. Availability would be October. Good luck!

Brandi G, by fall, you'll be able to tell for sure. Mine have a tendancy to all look the same for quite some time! I've got one 14 week old right now that I just can't figure out. One day it looks cockerel and the next it looks pullet. LOL Post pics, side view and side head shots, maybe we can help

Last edited:
Thanks rockinpaints, I'll be in touch. Gary H, I tried to get pictures tonight, but was only able to snap one good one. I'll try again tomorrow afternoon when I'll have an extra set of hands to help. I've got three that look exactly like this
and one that's a little bit slower progressing.

Brandi G, by fall, you'll be able to tell for sure. Mine have a tendancy to all look the same for quite some time! I've got one 14 week old right now that I just can't figure out. One day it looks cockerel and the next it looks pullet. LOL Post pics, side view and side head shots, maybe we can help
I am having a haydidddlee of a time sexing my gold laced. I LOOOOOVE them though. anything laced is my thing.

Let's talk tail feathers here. I usually can tell by the comb, but these are soooo close. My GL are from birds that present English with the spritely tail. Is there anything in the tail that might tell me early on? With my silver laced I am fairly sure my male is late in getting his tail. Any other distinct markers I could use?

RockPaints - Do you have availability in OCT for GL?

Different lines of gold laced birds may be different. That being said, mine get their tails later than the girls. If anyone is in the St. Louis area, we (Ozark Orpingtons) are releasing our gold laced birds now. When the weather breaks, we can start shipping as we are NPIP certified in Missouri, depending on your state requirements.
3 1/2 month old pullet

some of the growouts, roughly 7/8 weeks old

Gary H, they're beautiful. I wish I was closer, but will have to check what my state requires as far as shipping. I've never ordered chicks through the mail, so it'd be a learning experience for me. I tried again this morning while giving them their daily breakfast while cleaning out the brooder (I do not keep them in the tubs pictured except while I'm cleaning). The little one that is feathering out more slowly is only 1/2 the size of the other 3 and I noticed this morning, looks like some funky coloring coming in. I guess I'll have to be patient, which is not one of my virtues.

Back
Top Bottom