Golden chick not standing

adriano

Songster
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Ireland
Hi i had 2 goldens hatch out this morning .
They had eyes open and chirpping.
Problem is 8 hours later they are not standing Pic attached.

40112_chicks_007.jpg
[/img]

Those babies have a good case of splayed leg. Also called spraddled legs. Easy cure if you get to them quick before the joints start setting up. Take a strip of paper tape or vet wrap and tape the legs in the right position. Kind of like hobbles for horses. Tape them between the knees and ankles. The little ones will have a hard time walking until they get used to the hobbles but they should only have to wear them for 3 days to a week.
Hear is a link so you can see what I am talking about. I personally would, and have used, paper tape for my pheasants with splayed legs but the choice is up to you. I just wanted to show you the right position for taping the legs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=337130

Just
a side question...... What are they in at the moment? Is that the incubator? Baby pheasants have a hard enough time trying to straighten out those long legs so they should be put on something that has a NON-SLIP surface. I would take and place paper towels over all that shiny, slick gray area there in the corner.

Good luck with your little ones. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Last edited:
It looks like the incubator is the R-COM 20.
I have the same one. You will want to completely cover the bottom with paper towels in the future.
It gives them the traction they need to keep their legs under them.

Peter

Thanks guys.
It didnt say on the incubators manual that the floor should be covered with an anti slip surface.
Bad on there behalf for a beginner.
I knew that they required an anti slip surface , but i thought just in the brooder.
I found out earlier today about the band aid method and applied it, and now they are much better moving around.
I have also put an anti slip cloth into the incubator for next chicks.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom