Golden Comet Chickens, HELP!

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
I am new to chickens and we've only had ours since the 20th. The guy we bought them from wasn't sure of the breed and told us he thinks they were Rhode Island Reds but everything I see about R.I.Reds doesn't match my chickens. So, I finally found a picture of a chicken that looks like mine. Can someone tell me about Golden Comets, they're temperment, if they like to be high up or low in their coops, are they good meat or egg layers? Thanks.

THEYHAVEWINGS.jpg

GoldenRedGoldenCometChicken.jpg

Last edited:
I have some of these red comets and also some gold comets. They are very pleasant chickens and friendly. My granddaughter carries them around and they sing to her. They are very good layers too. I don't know if they lay in the winter or not. But I like them and would buy them again. I think they're pretty, too. I don't know where they are in their sleeping arrangements, but I think that would depend on they pecking order.

Last edited:
They look like my Golden Comets! I LOVE them! I have RIR's and Golden Comets. The RIR's would much rather be left alone versus the Golden Comets are very affectionate. They are a sex-link, meaning that they are a hybrid that has been cross bread. They are EXCELLENT brown egg layers and they start laying earlier than the RIR's. They will start laying at 15 weeks instead of 20! Everyone that has ever had Golden Comets have just loved them! They are very sweet birds.
smile.png

AAHH, such a relief to finally know what they are!!! I noticed that there is one, we call her Wilma, that is the one that is in charge of the other ones, they all follow her lead. She is funny. Because of our cat occasionally sticking his (nailess) paw into the cage, ours are very jittery. We noticed that originally they were very loving as tiny babys but because he keeps swiping at them, (he's quick and runs in as soon as the door opens)-they chirp very loudly and try to get away if someone picks them up etc. But we do love them very much and they do let us rub them. But I guess to pick them up reminds them too much of our beloved but slightly naughty cat, Fiesty.

Leasmom, congrats on the babies. They look like my Golden Comets. They are very nice and sweet birds. I sit in their pen with them and they like to come and sit on my lap. You will enjoy them a lot. Best of luck.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee:ya

I LOVE my golden comets! They are the sweetest and friendliest of all my chicks. I only ordered 2 and I will definitely order more of them the next time around!

I have a few. Very nice hens that lay big brown eggs.

I've even got some peeps in the brooder. I like them.

Back
Top Bottom