Golden Comet Chickens, HELP!

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
I am new to chickens and we've only had ours since the 20th. The guy we bought them from wasn't sure of the breed and told us he thinks they were Rhode Island Reds but everything I see about R.I.Reds doesn't match my chickens. So, I finally found a picture of a chicken that looks like mine. Can someone tell me about Golden Comets, they're temperment, if they like to be high up or low in their coops, are they good meat or egg layers? Thanks.

THEYHAVEWINGS.jpg

GoldenRedGoldenCometChicken.jpg

Last edited:
They look like my Golden Comets! I LOVE them! I have RIR's and Golden Comets. The RIR's would much rather be left alone versus the Golden Comets are very affectionate. They are a sex-link, meaning that they are a hybrid that has been cross bread. They are EXCELLENT brown egg layers and they start laying earlier than the RIR's. They will start laying at 15 weeks instead of 20! Everyone that has ever had Golden Comets have just loved them! They are very sweet birds.
smile.png

Quote:
BTW.........when i said sit in a chair and have treats LOL.....i meant sit out where the chickens are and have treats for them..........but it sounded like i was telling you to hide your sadness by eating
roll.png

I have had alot of chickens in the past years. But I have never had the golden comets until lately.. I bought 6 hens and a roo from a fellow that lives local. So far I love them. They are laying big eggs and most days they all lay an egg.

If anyone is interested in any eggs. I could sell some. Just PM me a message. They were hatched this past spring and they are very calm birds compaired to some other breeds I have had in the past. I think you all will love them too.

I will try to post some better pictures.

31050_golden_comets_png.jpg

I had 16 Golden Comets ,sadly all of them have died from cancer after they laid eggs year round, & after two years of age that was their expiration date sadly .I named all my girls & I lost every one except Violet who was hurt in an accident & knock on wood is still with me ! I will never buy another Golden Comet as long as I keep pets & hens , I have a Roadie & she has out lived them all ! But my comets were bread just to lay eggs & die ! I really got attached to them . They are very sweet birds & very personal also easy to train , . They are very smart much smarter then a lot pf people think ! I just wanted to let people know that these birds have a very short life span & they get sick & die no matter what you do to try to save them , It is a Genetic trait engineered into them for mass production of brown Eggs .

i purchased six golden comets from tractor supply about 2 months ago. they r the playmates for 3 of 10 rhode island reds that hatched of my new fertile eggs! my turnout wasnt great as i incubated alot more eggs than id like to admit! i didnt do well at all and felt very bad as a couple of them tried to get out of their shell but didnt make it! i was told to not help them in any way and let nature do its thing. as i was upset to loose a couple of my babies ,,, i am soo thankful for the 3 that hatched and r doing sooo good! they r my babies!!! i love them soo much, so i got 6 2 day old golden comets to b with them. comets r 2 weeks behind my reds but they get along great! now all nine are together in their now outside coupe that looks like disney land! they r doing soo good, im thankful!

I just want to warn everyone out there of the  hybrid chickens many farm stores are selling. These Chickens are wonderful to own but if you are like me and get attached to your animals these birds are not for you. 
Hybrid comets (Golden comets or sex linked Great egg layers. Not hardy, not strong. Extremely friendly personalities. Not a good bird to own. Produced by commercial companies to lay eggs; a great deal of eggs in a short time and then they get sick and die.  Their little bodies can’t handle this fast egg laying production. They start to shut down after 2 or 3 years. They end up egg bound and die. Now I had 13 of them and have about 7 left, and 3 are sick. I have saved some only to have the eggs get stuck again later. I did my research because I also own New Hampshire reds and Light Sussex both very hardy dual purpose birds that never get sick, never get egg bound. My husband and I feel robbed because although they are just chickens they were so friendly we named them and loved them and now we feel lied to and cheated. Save yourself the grief- Don't buy Golden Comets!!!!!!!

From what I've read they were designed to simply lay eggs. They can't reproduce so when they die, you have to buy more. Makes sense they wouldn't want them long lived. They weren't made by breeding two chickens. They are genetically designed.

I have some of these red comets and also some gold comets. They are very pleasant chickens and friendly. My granddaughter carries them around and they sing to her. They are very good layers too. I don't know if they lay in the winter or not. But I like them and would buy them again. I think they're pretty, too. I don't know where they are in their sleeping arrangements, but I think that would depend on they pecking order.

Last edited:
AAHH, such a relief to finally know what they are!!! I noticed that there is one, we call her Wilma, that is the one that is in charge of the other ones, they all follow her lead. She is funny. Because of our cat occasionally sticking his (nailess) paw into the cage, ours are very jittery. We noticed that originally they were very loving as tiny babys but because he keeps swiping at them, (he's quick and runs in as soon as the door opens)-they chirp very loudly and try to get away if someone picks them up etc. But we do love them very much and they do let us rub them. But I guess to pick them up reminds them too much of our beloved but slightly naughty cat, Fiesty.

Leasmom, congrats on the babies. They look like my Golden Comets. They are very nice and sweet birds. I sit in their pen with them and they like to come and sit on my lap. You will enjoy them a lot. Best of luck.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee:ya

Back
Top Bottom