Golden Comet not Layin

MamaBowman

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
I have a golden comet that is not laying. She’s about 10 months old. Another pullet I got in the same hatch has been laying almost daily since 19 weeks. I know this hen isn’t laying, as I separated her for almost a week when I introduced new chicks (she was the biggest bully and everyone else got along well so I kept her in a look but don’t touch situation for a week) and she never laid.

Is she a one off that will likely never lay, or is there hope for the future?

What are you feeding her? Do you know if she has ever laid? Somtimes it can take a year for a chicken to lay, but this is more likely in other breeds like silkies. It is possible that she will not ever lay, but this is very rare. Have you checked if she is molting? In this time feathers will fall off and new feathers will grow in. They will appear to be little pins at first. Most chickens don't lay in this time, as growing new feathers takes up a lot of protein that wouod normally be put into eggs. It is best to give chickens a bit of extra protein during their moult. This will encourage new feather growth and help to speed the process up.

Back
Top Bottom