Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
My pair of GL Bantams arrived this morning! Are they great? No but better than I had a right to hope for. A good starting point. My Cockerel is not as good as my friends Cock bird and the hens are all about equal. We are already planning on switching males every 3 weeks when they start laying. I need a better/faster camera because I had good pictures framed but I can't seem to push the button early enough to catch them at the right time.
Wow, a bantam GL with a tail! I've seen some in California (my daughter owns a bantam hen as well), but serious bunny tails, yetch.

Good luck with them! I'd love to see some nice GL Bantams established.

Last edited:
I've missed this thread before. My daughter is very interested in raising a nice line of golden laced LF Wyandottes. It has been extremely difficult to find birds to work with. We have a quite nice hen but I've had a heck of a time finding a roo to go with her. Finally, we have a cockerel plus a few more pullets, and we have some silver lace coming to try to cross with them. Fingers crossed that we'll have some chicks this year.

Here are two of the youngsters:

They're beautiful birds and I think it's a shame that they're so overlooked given that they're such an old variety within the breed. Not to take away from the BLR, but I wish at least a little of that energy was being spread around to some of these other wonderful traditional varieties. :)

I know we're definitely going to have to work on the size. The type isn't bad and the color is workable, but they're small for Wyandottes. It doesn't seem that anyone else is exhibiting or breeding them in this area, unfortunately.

Last edited:
GLW's are such beautiful chickens! I hope more people add pics of their birds!
Here is my girl, Bella. She's 19 weeks.
smile.png

Here she is a few days old...
7515-L.jpg

Here she is at 19 weeks
sma1.jpg

one.jpg
SHe's purdy!

Hey yall! First I'd like to say - awesome pictures everyone!!! I love my GLW's! I had 5 girls & a boy, but Brownie - the non - tamest got taken by a barred owl a week ago :( I accidentally left the gate open :( /slap msyelf....
Here's her...she almost hit 10 months...

My 6 orginial babies!
Ok I posted a pic of my girl that recently got taken by that stupid Barred Owl, that thing actually attacked today AGAIN at 3:30pm this time in broad freaking daylight!!!
Here's my boy Pinky! (who won Page of the week a few wks ago!) :) I was so happy, he's my sweety.

He's got his 4 girls: Goldy, Harlet, Purpledotte, & DD(Darkydotte) - they are all so different & unique looking & different personalities too of course!

Here's goldy...I know her laces on her chest are distorted but I love her!

Here's my little Harlet :)....(first 1 to squat for me)

Here's Purpledotte (she's the boss of the dottes)....

Lastly here's my second favorite DarkyDotte or DD :)......

Here's some more random good pics :)

My pair of GL Bantams arrived this morning! Are they great? No but better than I had a right to hope for. A good starting point. My Cockerel is not as good as my friends Cock bird and the hens are all about equal. We are already planning on switching males every 3 weeks when they start laying. I need a better/faster camera because I had good pictures framed but I can't seem to push the button early enough to catch them at the right time.
Wow, a bantam GL with a tail! I've seen some in California (my daughter owns a bantam hen as well), but serious bunny tails, yetch.

Good luck with them! I'd love to see some nice GL Bantams established.

Thank you. I will hatch EVERY egg she lays and hope to cull correctly to give me some to hatch next year.

Quote:
Good luck! It's a highly worthy project.

How do you manage the logistics of hatching every egg? If you're hatching every week, does each cohort have to live in a separate brooder or can you combine them?

outdoorsii, you do realize chickens squat as a sign of submision and, if you have been unfortunate enough to see a chicken getting chased by a dog/fox etc, you will know that the chicken will run and flap but once it gets to tierd it will squat and be eaten. (i dont want to sound mean)

Anywho, here are some pics of my bantam wyandotte hen and roo

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom