Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics

The light color egg is from my GLW. The other two are from my Production Reds. This was the very first egg my GLW laid and that was 5 days ago. She has since laid three more the same color.
Yep, looks like mine did for the first year. Long pointy peachy color. Almost just like my Black Australorp except theirs were more round. For some reason since she molted her eggs are now darker - they look like my RIR laid them. But still not "dark" by any means.

Yep, looks like mine did for the first year. Long pointy peachy color. Almost just like my Black Australorp except theirs were more round. For some reason since she molted her eggs are now darker - they look like my RIR laid them. But still not "dark" by any means.

Hmm I have one out there that looks exactly like that one...the long pointy light brown...been getting them a couple days now. I'm starting to wonder if this dark brown egg isn't from my Andalusian? She came from a breeder who also had Marans. Maybe she is mixed. But she looks purebred for sure. So weird. There's no other explanation because all my buffs and australorps laid all year last year and I never got anything like this out of them.

Aha! I discovered the mystery bird! It IS the blue Andalusian. The stinker has red ears, not white, which means she's mixed with maran! I'm so happy! Lol I paid a lot of money for Penedesenca hatching eggs so I could have dark brown eggs, but none of them hatched save one and she didn't live long. This is a wonderful surprise! God loves me! Lol!

Hello every one
frow.gif
. I'm new to chickens, and my choice of chicken to have has been GLD. LACED WYANDOTTES. I choose them for their duel purpose qualities. ( I'm getting some kinder goats for the same reason.) I live in Vermont and there is no availability. I'm ordering my wyandottes from cackle hatchery. The thing is I do have neighbors, who say it will be fine. But I don't want to just rely on that....So I have some questions that I hope someone won't mind answering.?? My being able to have a rooster is important, for breeding, cense there are no way to do so other wise.
I have 1 acre and live at the end of a dead end street, next to RR Tracks. IMO. I would much rather listen to crowing and clucking, than the racket of the trains. I would hope that my neighbors would too. But that isn't always so.
idunno.gif
. So here it is.....

1). On a scale of .....1-10...with...10 being the most and ...1 ..being the least.. How often does the rooster crow ?? (____). ( just in case some one was to ask how bad it can be )
2). Do you keep your rooster in with the hens all the time ? If not ..why and where do you keep him ? ( I had thought, in with the bucks.)
3). When feeding....Do you mix laying food with meat bird food ? And dose the same apply to the rooster ?

So sorry for all the questions, but when I first joined, I had some questions I ask on the reg. forum and I felt like I got pounced on
hide.gif
. Besides I should have asked persons with Wyandotte chickens because you know this particular breed, and each breed has its differences. Thank you. Mary

1). On a scale of .....1-10...with...10 being the most and ...1 ..being the least.. How often does the rooster crow ?? (____). ( just in case some one was to ask how bad it can be )
2). Do you keep your rooster in with the hens all the time ? If not ..why and where do you keep him ? ( I had thought, in with the bucks.)
3). When feeding....Do you mix laying food with meat bird food ? And dose the same apply to the rooster ?

So sorry for all the questions, but when I first joined, I had some questions I ask on the reg. forum and I felt like I got pounced on
hide.gif
. Besides I should have asked persons with Wyandotte chickens because you know this particular breed, and each breed has its differences. Thank you. Mary

Hi Mary! Congratulations on your choice! GLWs are great birds, and the breed is in need of more independant breeders. I'm sorry if you didn't feel welcomed, there can be some know-it-alls around here, but the good thing is there are a few out there who actually do know most of it.

1. Mine crows pretty frequently in the pre-dawn, about the time all the other birds are making racket, then hushes after the sun is up. Then he only crows if he sees something scary.
2. I keep my rooster with my hens all the time. Depending on how many hens you have, though, he might start to wear out their feathers. Even if you have a ton of girls he might pick a favorite and wear her out anyway.
3. No, the kinds of feed refer to phases of life, not breeds. Layer feed basically has lots of calcium mixed in, which can be bad for the rooster. I feed grower/maintenance feed to my whole flock and offer oyster shell separately, which the hens will dip into when they crave calcium. You'll want to offer grit the same way if you don't free-range.

Thank you so much Fly Sammy ! This is great info. I am only having 3-4 hens and I don't want them to look like they've been through the mill because of the rooster. So would he be OK with my bucks ? ( so he won't be completely alone )? They will get some free-range time but only under supervision, during the day and I thought I would have the rooster with them at that time, to limit the contact. If any thing I'm thinking of is wrong or not good please let me know. I have never had chickens be for and its important to me that I get it right !!! I have been studying chickens ( especially wyandottes ) They are perfect for familys who want to do their own thing,for them self's. I'm not about money. I want to introduce these fine breeds to Vermont because of there wonderful qualities. Their are some people who already are excited to have them around. So is it right that fertile eggs can be eaten if you collect them every day !!?? Because I only want to breed them once a year, for chicks. Oh and thanks for the food info., In all my research nothing indicated what type of food, I just assumed that there were different types because there were different types of birds.

Thanks again
Mary ...........
yippiechickie.gif

This is off subject but I am wondering if anyone of a good show quality line of gold laced wyandotte bantams around. I only have 2 pullets left after a dog attack, and I am shopping for a new rooster.

Back
Top Bottom