Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
Yes I love both the GLW and the Silver laced. I gave one of each
1f60a.png
i had more but they got out

Raccoon killed all 6 of my 10 week old GLWs. :( I was just starting to let them out for a few hours and they loved the back yard. I had 2 eating out of my hand and a third was coming around. My heart is heavy, I want that coon dead but I know it is really my job to protect them better. Any ideas on how to improve my coop so this does not happen again? My coop is pictured below. I believe the raccoon just crawled under the 2x4 along the bottom to gain access. Any ideas are welcome

Raccoon killed all 6 of my 10 week old GLWs. :( I was just starting to let them out for a few hours and they loved the back yard. I had 2 eating out of my hand and a third was coming around. My heart is heavy, I want that coon dead but I know it is really my job to protect them better. Any ideas on how to improve my coop so this does not happen again? My coop is pictured below. I believe the raccoon just crawled under the 2x4 along the bottom to gain access. Any ideas are welcome

Up top, where the metal roof overhangs ... if that is open enough, a small coon could have shimmied in there. I'm not sure how dig-happy coons can get, but I do know I have had some escaped chicks who dug out. Attach some hardware cloth to the bottom of the frame, lay it outwards, and weight it down or cover with dirt. Note that there will be open areas at the corners (how a couple tunnel-rat chicks escaped this past week here!). It also looks like there is a missing 2x4 on the short side in this pic?

Very sorry for the loss - I know personally how frustrating and angering it can be to lose several chicks in one night.

thank you all for your thoughts. After a couple more inspections I noticed a large spider web has a large disturbed area just inside the coop at the highest point where the roofing would allow for entry. This is an easy fix I think but I am ill at not fixing this earlier. I Hope my next batch will enjoy a much longer stay :)

Oh, as I go thru this thread, I Sooooo VERY Badly want a GLW! I would like it in the Banty size. Maybe next year it will happen. I think they are so incredibly beautifully marked ans from those I've talked to that they have good personalities. I'm here leaning on the front window drooling over all your pretty girl's!
big_smile.png
They are wonderful. I have one she was supposed to be a BLW but she is a golden laced and she is so nice. But she is not the most gentle girl right now but she is still a chick. That might just be mine. But other than that she is so nice. I love her. Her name is Mona Lisa from Parks and Recreation. All of our birds our named after characters from tv.
lau.gif

They are wonderful. I have one she was supposed to be a BLW but she is a golden laced and she is so nice. But she is not the most gentle girl right now but she is still a chick. That might just be mine. But other than that she is so nice. I love her. Her name is Mona Lisa from Parks and Recreation. All of our birds our named after characters from tv.
lau.gif
Just so you know, she is not a gold laced. Blue Laced Red produce three colors- blue, splash, and black. She is a Black Laced Red offspring of the Blue Laced birds. This is important to breeders, because too many hatcheries and individuals have crossed Black Laced Red into the Gold Laced lines, thinking they are the same birds, so that unpolluted Gold Laced lines are becoming quite rare.

Last edited:
Just so you know, she is not a gold laced. Blue Laced Red produce three colors- blue, splash, and black. She is a Black Laced Red offspring of the Blue Laced birds. This is important to breeders, because too many hatcheries and individuals have crossed Black Laced Red into the Gold Laced lines, thinking they are the same birds, so that unpolluted Gold Laced lines are becoming quite rare.
It's my understanding the BLR variety was created from gold laced, originally. As someone who is doing it, mostly because that is what is easily available to me, I see it as bringing it back to the parent variety. Also, I make no attempt to keep it a secret, and the breeder I get the black phase BLRs from still has the gold gene(s) in her line, as it shows up as "brassiness" in her birds.

Not sure I see my birds as "polluted" as they are certainly Wyandottes, and the BLR is a descendant of the gold laced.

It's my understanding the BLR variety was created from gold laced, originally. As someone who is doing it, mostly because that is what is easily available to me, I see it as bringing it back to the parent variety. Also, I make no attempt to keep it a secret, and the breeder I get the black phase BLRs from still has the gold gene(s) in her line, as it shows up as "brassiness" in her birds.

Not sure I see my birds as "polluted" as they are certainly Wyandottes, and the BLR is a descendant of the gold laced.
Because a color comes from another one originally doesn't mean it should be bred back into the parent color. Each chicken color is really a 'breed' to itself in a way, and is better kept that way for purity. Yes, they are all Wyandottes, but if I want to purchase Gold Laced, I want them to be Gold Laced, not carrying genes for another color. I meant no offense by using the word polluted, I simply wouldn't consider lines that carry the Black Laced Red as pure Gold Laced. As long as people who buy from you know that your birds carry both colors, it's great that you do whatever you want to- they are your birds.

I have to say that your statement about breeding Black Laced Red back into your Gold Laced because they are easily available to you makes me rather sad. That is exactly the mentality that is losing us some of the beautiful heritage breeds in their pure form. There are breeders out there with the pure lines for anyone who wants to go to the work of finding them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom