Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics

Hens or roos?

Here's my now 6 week old golden laced Wyandotte. Judging by the wattles, I'm assuming it's a he. He is feathering so slowly, and everywhere that used to have down is bald! He's really an ugly duckling! Anyone else have theirs have patchy bald spots??
It's not from being picked on or anything, it's completely symmetrical and just in the places pin feathers haven't started yet. We have had red rangers, buff orpingtons, leghorns, a marans, a delaware, and a fayoumi, and none of them feathered this slowly or in such a funky way.

It's sort of endearing, but I do hope he grows feathers everywhere eventually.

On certain. Breeds the roosters mature more slowly. I'm not sure if this is the case for glw because all of mine are hens, but I have a 5ish month old jubilee orpington that still has alot of yellow down. Though the down is more course then when he was a tiny chick.

That does make sense. I don't have another glw to compare him to as he was a free chick that came with an order of leghorn Roos. But he's healthy and playful and its 100+ here in Texas so maybe he's just smarter than everyone else by not growing feathers ;)

Yes, that is how my GLW cockerels, (all 5 of them) feathered out. The males where slower to mature than the females, so I wouldn't be concerned as long as he seems active and healthy. The next feature you may notice is that his comb and wattles will become a brighter color than the girls', and also his hackle feathers around the shoulders (okay, maybe chickens don't have shoulders, lol, or do they?) will be a more pointed shape compared to the rounded feathers on the females.

Another thought about his feathering out is that in the heat of the summer the feathers may just come in a little slower than if it was in colder weather. But all of my males had bald spots on their backs, etc. and that was in November, in the mountains! Hope this was helpful.

Yes, that is how my GLW cockerels, (all 5 of them) feathered out. The males where slower to mature than the females, so I wouldn't be concerned as long as he seems active and healthy. The next feature you may notice is that his comb and wattles will become a brighter color than the girls', and also his hackle feathers around the shoulders (okay, maybe chickens don't have shoulders, lol, or do they?) will be a more pointed shape compared to the rounded feathers on the females.

Another thought about his feathering out is that in the heat of the summer the feathers may just come in a little slower than if it was in colder weather. But all of my males had bald spots on their backs, etc. and that was in November, in the mountains! Hope this was helpful.
Very helpful, thank you Cottage Gal! I just wanted to make sure I didn't get one with some sort of feather mutation or something silly like that. Glad to know he's not the only bald chick around!

This is my Agnes. She is 6 weeks old in this picture (last Sunday). Her head finished feathering today. She's going to be so pretty.

The last pic also has Evelyn my Black Austrlorp.

Back
Top Bottom