Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
he is very pretty. Though he had a single comb instead of a rose comb. I wish I could get a roo, but id have to rid my flock of a couple meanies first

Yes, someone else said he had the recessive single comb. Guess I have A LOT more reading up to do on GLW's!

You should get your chicks from the place I get mine. We bought 4 female chicks and 1 male chick and two of the females turned out to be males! You'd get a roo for sure.
wink.png

Question for all you GLW owners...

I have a poor quality GLW that I got from TSC and my two has been losing feathers on there back. One is worse then another and on my one its going up her tail. The feathers are growing back on her back but it's going up her tail. The other doesn't look like is extending out. I have been feeding more protein for feather growth.

The reason why I'm worried is because they are about to start laying and my other orphingtons and 3 other Easter eggers don't have the problem. Well one of my EE has a tiny spot but not as bad as the GL. Did any of you have issues with this?

Question for all you GLW owners...

I have a poor quality GLW that I got from TSC and my two has been losing feathers on there back. One is worse then another and on my one its going up her tail. The feathers are growing back on her back but it's going up her tail. The other doesn't look like is extending out. I have been feeding more protein for feather growth.

The reason why I'm worried is because they are about to start laying and my other orphingtons and 3 other Easter eggers don't have the problem. Well one of my EE has a tiny spot but not as bad as the GL. Did any of you have issues with this?

I am not very experienced with chickens but it sounds like it could be molting or feather picking. Have you seen any of your chickens picking on each other? I know some people's chickens are molting already also.

I also had some feather loss recently and it turned out to be from lice, so check them over for parasites.

Good luck, hope you find out the cause!

I have researched it but haven't seen any lice or anything from the surrounding areas but if one has them then the other would too but so far it's just the GLW. I haven't seen any of them pick the feathers, they do fight butbthats due to the pecking order I thought. She is lively and active and I don't see her being the one that's getting picked on just my buff orphingtons.

I am not very experienced with chickens but it sounds like it could be molting or feather picking.  Have you seen any of your chickens picking on each other? I know some people's chickens are molting already also.

I also had some feather loss recently and it turned out to be from lice, so check them over for parasites.

I thought they don't molt until they are 1y.. Idk such a newbie here... I read don't freak out when they molt but that's when I thought it was at 1y not 6m.

I have researched it but haven't seen any lice or anything from the surrounding areas but if one has them then the other would too but so far it's just the GLW. I haven't seen any of them pick the feathers, they do fight butbthats due to the pecking order I thought. She is lively and active and I don't see her being the one that's getting picked on just my buff orphingtons.

I'm such a dork lol I clicked my response to quote..

I thought they don't molt until they are 1y.. Idk such a newbie here... I read don't freak out when they molt but that's when I thought it was at 1y not 6m.

I am not very experienced with chickens but it sounds like it could be molting or feather picking.  Have you seen any of your chickens picking on each other? I know some people's chickens are molting already also.

I'm such a dork lol I clicked my response to quote..

Jess, are they in with a rooster? If it's only the two pullets, they might have poor feather quality which doesn't hold up to the normal activity of a rooster mounting them.

We did we had 3 roosters and that's what the hubby said that could have happened but then we gave 2 away and I figured the feather loss would stop but it hasn't with one.

We just got rid of our last rooster this morning (my baby) because he started to crow a few mornings ago :-(

Jess, are they in with a rooster?  If it's only the two pullets, they might have poor feather quality which doesn't hold up to the normal activity of a rooster mounting them.

Back
Top Bottom