Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
pop.gif

So all three of my Hens are now laying. I am seeing in other threads that many have stopped laying due to the weather but starting Sunday I have been collecting three eggs a day. Can this be due to their youth? they are all three only 5 months old. should I get my hopes up that they will keep laying though the colder weather?

So all three of my Hens are now laying. I am seeing in other threads that many have stopped laying due to the weather but starting Sunday I have been collecting three eggs a day. Can this be due to their youth? they are all three only 5 months old. should I get my hopes up that they will keep laying though the colder weather?

Yes.. my Dark Cornish are laying very well, even when the temp. got to negative 1*F a couple days ago with high of plus 13* that day. I suspect your pullets will lay to some extent throughout the winter and pick up pretty well again in Spring time.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! My mixed flock, (made up of mostly Wyandottes) is laying quite well for the time of year, getting into the teens at night here in West Virginia. Most of my hens are around 8 months old, and I do think they are laying more than my older hens. Age certainly does play a factor, as well as breed. Also they are out free-ranging all over the property, even though we have patches of snow here and there. Does anyone else feel that free-ranging chickens lay better than confined ones? Or is it just my own love of freedom that is influencing my opinion? lol! Seems like happy chickens just lay more and better eggs. Anyways, keep up whatever you are doing, GLWDaddy, and hopefully you will keep getting those delicious eggs all winter long!

Hello everyone! My mixed flock, (made up of mostly Wyandottes) is laying quite well for the time of year, getting into the teens at night here in West Virginia. Most of my hens are around 8 months old, and I do think they are laying more than my older hens. Age certainly does play a factor, as well as breed. Also they are out free-ranging all over the property, even though we have patches of snow here and there. Does anyone else feel that free-ranging chickens lay better than confined ones? Or is it just my own love of freedom that is influencing my opinion? lol! Seems like happy chickens just lay more and better eggs. Anyways, keep up whatever you are doing, GLWDaddy, and hopefully you will keep getting those delicious eggs all winter long!

I agree with you,my fellow West Virginian, to a great degree. From what part of this great State do you hale? I'm in Randolph County.

RON

Back
Top Bottom