Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
Are you sure they don't have a hidden nest? I find my GLW girls like to lay anywhere but the nestboxes, I find their eggs in the dog house, under the tractor, behind the garden shed, under the rose bushes, etc. It's an Easter Egg hunt every day!
This is my thought as well. I have a group of GLWs, hatched 13 April, who will hide their eggs any and every chance they get. Also in with them is an Ameracauna mix, who lays pretty mint-green eggs, so the Easter egg hunt theme is complete with this bunch.

Are you sure they don't have a hidden nest? I find my GLW girls like to lay anywhere but the nestboxes, I find their eggs in the dog house, under the tractor, behind the garden shed, under the rose bushes, etc. It's an Easter Egg hunt every day!

Nope no hidden nest. Ive looked. At first i thought rats were taking them but looking at their vents there not any bigger or moister my mix wyandotte is laying and shes a week younger she just started. She was laying them under my cage but shes in a smaller coop now.

We got 7 eggs from our ten girls (which includes 2 SLW and 1 GLW) yesterday, but the 10'F temperatures caused FIVE of them to crack open. The dogs were happy, me, not so much.

Nope no hidden nest. Ive looked. At first i thought rats were taking them but looking at their vents there not any bigger or moister my mix wyandotte is laying and shes a week younger she just started. She was laying them under my cage but shes in a smaller coop now.
I have a glw that loves to hide eggs too. She likes under the tree in the yard, wandering into the garage and putting them in my husbands boxes, and behind the fence posts. She was also one of my late layers. My Buffs and RIR started right away and my GLW was behind them like 4 weeks. I didn't think she was ever gonna lay, now she is one of my strongest layers. Give her time, she will get around to it. Check her environment too. They are pickier than others, they want to have a peaceful environment to lay. If she is anything like my girl, you will find one from her everyday once she starts. I am really thinking that I need to breed her as she is a proven layer!

I have a glw that loves to hide eggs too. She likes under the tree in the yard, wandering into the garage and putting them in my husbands boxes, and behind the fence posts. She was also one of my late layers. My Buffs and RIR started right away and my GLW was behind them like 4 weeks. I didn't think she was ever gonna lay, now she is one of my strongest layers. Give her time, she will get around to it. Check her environment too. They are pickier than others, they want to have a peaceful environment to lay. If she is anything like my girl, you will find one from her everyday once she starts. I am really thinking that I need to breed her as she is a proven layer!

Breed her to what? A NN cross would likely produce some excellent F1 babies that could really impress as capons...

I was thinking just another GLW, but the capon sounds fun too. I am just looking into breeding now, I haven't before as I didn't know how I was going to be as a chicken momma. It sems that I am pretty good at this. I want to wait another season or two before I even begin, as I am just a newbie. I have to look around and see what the best way to go about everything is. I have a great space for a hatchery, the incubator and egg turner, I just have to think if I want roosters or not. I am backed up to a national park, so not worried about distrubing our neighbors, I am most worried about making sure that I have areas partitioned off for breeding seasons.

I was thinking just another GLW, but the capon sounds fun too.
A capon will not be siring chicks - he's a castrated male chicken. If you want to work with full-blooded GLWs, then what you'll want to look for in a cockerel or rooster is: How well does his dam lay? You will certainly want the son of a good layer to cross with a good layer for egg production. If you are wanting dual purpose GLWs, then things get a lot more complex. For just egg production, I'd say don't worry too much about breeding as the hatcheries have that covered in spades. The hatchery GLWs tend to be lighter bodied, as that is the body type conducive to good laying. Breeder stock tends to be heavy bodied, but the laying ability depends on the specific strain.

I'm the crazy one who is crossing breeder stock and hatchery stock to get to a true, utility, useful dual purpose GLW. It should keep me busy for a while LOL
gig.gif

She is laying one a day. She is like clockwork. We go at noon, there is our egg. They have been laying since November and her box is always full.
As for Capons, they still sound fun!

I am pretty happy with my GLW, she is a sweet baby and a great layer, She looks picture perfect for a GLW too!

And her egg is in!

She is laying one a day. She is like clockwork. We go at noon, there is our egg. They have been laying since November and her box is always full.
As for Capons, they still sound fun!

I am pretty happy with my GLW, she is a sweet baby and a great layer, She looks picture perfect for a GLW too!

And her egg is in!

I have to tell you....while I think eating capon is the best way to enjoy chicken, there's nothing fun about the process. It does get easier as one gains experience and it finally seems worthwhile, lots of folks fag out after their first or third effort. If you decide to do it...get a mentor and stick with it...It is so very much worth it.

Back
Top Bottom