Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Please help this baby was suppose to be a pullet she/he is 9weeks
GIRL? OR BOY?

I have 10 chickies, 2 are GLWs, and I just love them! The older girls are going on 15 & 16 weeks old, but the GLWs and the two white silkies are going on 13 weeks. The older ones are pretty mean to the younger ones, especially the silkies. But the Wyandottes are their protectors. They try to take the brunt of the pecking and chasing, and the little silkies run and snuggle with them. It's so cute. One of the GSLs is the main protector tho. That's Josephine. Frederika takes care of them too, but she's a little more independent and a lot more friendly. She sits on my lap and often flies up on me when I'm out scooping poop! LOL I've been a little concerned that Josephine might actually be a rooster tho. The way she/he is sooo protective, and the stature and size is different from Fred. But I don't really see any signs yet of the longer saddle feathers, and the hackles seem to be a little more rounded than pointed, altho it's hard to tell with Jo. She/he absolutely hates being touched or held. I think she's afraid to leave the silkies alone more than a few seconds. Here are some pics of my "girls": The one bending over with the blurred head is Jo, and the other one is Fred, both at about 7 or 8 weeks in this shot. Silkies as well. See how different Jo's tail is from Fred's. Here the girls are snuggling together, soaking up some sun the same day back in June These pics are from this morning... at about 13 weeks.. This is Fred with either Phoebe or Angelica...I can never tell the silkies apart!! Fred on the left and Jo on the right My girl Frederika!
Your glw are pullets. If they were males the combs would be much bigger and redder

Your glw are pullets. If they were males the combs would be much bigger and redder

Thanks Poultrybonkers!! I kinda figured that. It's just that Josephine has a very upright stance and is taller and slightly bigger than Fred. And her tail is longer. I know they don't all mature at the same rate. She also has a weird little pointy cone-like protrusion at the top of her comb. But like you said, the combs and wattles would be bigger and redder by now if she were a rooster. Maybe her stance is just because she is always protecting those little silkies. They are rarely more than a few feet away at any time, and I often see them cuddling up almost under her wings. She's really a wonderful bird, and a great surrogate mother. I wish I could hold her once in awhile, like Fred. But she just won't allow it. Maybe with time...

Newbie question: GLW Genetic Problem? Photo of my 5 week old chick. I got a straight run of 10 GLW and 10 SLW plus the freebie which turned out to be an Egyptian Fayoumas, so of 21 chicks this is the only one that has a problem. And except for no feathers or feathers that seem to be on backward, he (pretty sure it's a roo) is very vibrant, healthy, picks stare-downs and wins his little fights with the others, has no mites or bugs. I asked on the raising chicks thread, and am offered that this is genetic not just late feathering. Is there a name for this fault and is it common in the Golden Laced Wyandottes? These are my first chickens EVER and I'm already an addict! Thanks for any answers or comments!

Newbie question: GLW Genetic Problem? Photo of my 5 week old chick. I got a straight run of 10 GLW and 10 SLW plus the freebie which turned out to be an Egyptian Fayoumas, so of 21 chicks this is the only one that has a problem. And except for no feathers or feathers that seem to be on backward, he (pretty sure it's a roo) is very vibrant, healthy, picks stare-downs and wins his little fights with the others, has no mites or bugs. I asked on the raising chicks thread, and am offered that this is genetic not just late feathering. Is there a name for this fault and is it common in the Golden Laced Wyandottes? These are my first chickens EVER and I'm already an addict! Thanks for any answers or comments!

I had an Ameraucana do this also but it caught up and feathered out eventually. Still had never seen it except from hatchery birds but he wasn't from a hatchery.

Hello.I purchased a GLW chick that was born May 4 from local feed store. At 10 weeks she started to crow. Defintely a cockeral. Crowing every morning now.
Renamed her from Rose to Ross. I am hoping to rehome him with another BYC er. I live in the Bay Area and will deliver him 2 hours away to a new home. I have a no crow collar that minimized the volume a little but city does not allow roosters. Please let me know. I posted to the Rehoming Thread too.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom