Good bushes to plant for chickens

Thanks for all your great suggestions. Well, I'm trying a toy for now, and plan to plant tall ornamental grasses along the south side of the run in the fall. Here's a photo of the new toy. They sure like it. And it has a great secondary purpose of a place to go to get away from mr. rooster if the hens want. He can get up, but not as fast and doesn't really want to make the effort. This toy is constructed of two sawhorses, one old wood ladder, and a couple tree limbs.
97798_photo1.jpg

97798_photo.jpg

clap.gif
excellent! Looks like they like it
thumbsup.gif

I got your message, the floor in my run is dirt at the moment with bamboo leaves on the top of the dirt.
I have a squared off area with wire over it, growing seed for them to eat.
I have a smaller squared off area with sand in it as a dustbath.

Good luck with yours!
smile.png

i am looking to take part of my garden just for the chickens to eat from, can you suggest any plants they love to eat or ones that are very good for them?

i am looking to take part of my garden just for the chickens to eat from, can you suggest any plants they love to eat or ones that are very good for them?

My chickens like tomatoes! I planted 30 tomato plants for them last year, and while they trampled the vines a little bit, they were able to eat the tomatoes as they became ripe. :)

If you're Chicken Run is tall enough you can put some plants on Shepherds Hooks or hanging from a sturdy crossbar. This helps with both shade and camouflage from raptors. Also, you can try a Pomegranate tree with wire around the trunk. They're hardy and chickens love the fruit.

Back
Top Bottom