good dog breeds for chickens

This may sound weird, but my Pomeranian likes to herd and guard my silkies. She runs around them is circles and barks at everything that comes near them.

I have a black lab mix that does just fine with my few chickens. I've heard tell of dogs that kill one chicken, then learn though.
hide.gif
I would never let my dogs kill even one chicken!

Quote:
i completely agree w/ rotts being the best... but i DEFINITELY disagree that terriers can't be trusted w/ birds (or other small game for that matter)

i have a yorkie, 2 scottish terriers, and a rescue APBT and they are all great w/ my several hundred birds as well as our 2 house rabbits. maybe i just got lucky
smile.png

I don't know if you can classify which breed would be ok around chickens. It depends on the dog. We have a beagle/pointer mix that wouldn't harm a feather on our chickens, which is very unusual. I reccomend Petfinder.com. Deals with all rescue pets, all ages, all breeds and gives detailed info on the dogs.

We had a chow/lab mix for 10 years. One weekend he got loose and killed my golden laced polish and bbb turkey in a matter of minutes. He was so violent in his killing that my husband made the decision to put him down. He had always been a sweet layed back dog till that day. We have no idea what set him off. We could not have him around the grandkids.
sad.png

I currently have a mini-dashund that has been going to the barn with me everyday for a year. So far she's been great with chickens. Most of them are her size or larger so they are in control most of the time. It's funny watching them. When it gets late she tries to round them up and head them toward the run door. But they let her know if their ready or not.

I have a pit bull terrier who is 'chicken proof'. I have always owned pit bulls, and had them around chickens plenty of times. Never had any issues except with a german shorthaired pointer. The pitties were great, when trained well! Though I never trust any breed or size of dog 100%.

Here is my big boy with the girls. The BR has had him in check since she was 8 weeks old, even chases him off his bed and water dish haha.

MunkandJoon8weeksold083.jpg

NewChickensAugust10th2010071.jpg

NewChickensAugust10th2010076.jpg

Quote:
I don't think you're lucky, I think the determining factor would be the alpha dog, You.
one terrier would be lucky or coincidence, several, there is something else at play.

Quote:
It wasn't the dog. He was caught up in the excitement. A dog can get in your coop and kill everyone of the chickens and not eat one, due to the excitement that is happening. The birds start bawkking and running and jumping, flapping wings. If you were a dog you would get caught up in it to. They don't stop until everyone is dead and there is no more flapping around, then they walk out as they walked in, well coming out they may have been alittle red.
I have 2 dogs and was extremely worried about them. ( pitty/lab and lab/brodercollie) We never leave them alone with the chickens. when they are out in the yard the dogs hardly notice the chickens its norm to them now. (both were adult dogs when introduced to chickens. I don't recommend a leash either that makes it worse let them loose and watch them.

Back
Top Bottom