Dog breed with chickens

JoyV

Songster
Aug 30, 2019
Hello.
I may have the option to get a Yorkie/bishon mix dog. He is 2 months old. Does anyone have any experience with this breed around chickens? Or rabbits? My chickens free range so the dog would be out with them. Supervised of course to make sure safe.

I have a Yorkie. He and my chickens are buddies. They chase him, and he runs laps around the lawn. He sits with me and watches them. He will roll his ball where the chickens are foraging, and if they run over to look at it, he thinks they're playing with him. He will be 5 February 1. He's been around them since they were chicks (but I never let him near them until they were full grown, and then supervised only). That being said, he is atypical IMO. He loves people, dogs, cats, and everything else. Our first Yorkie was very different. He was around our first flock - same scenario. He would run at the chicken run, and pounce toward it, stomping his feet, and marking a section of fencing. He was not enamored with the chickens. They were larger than him, and outnumbered him, so he left them alone. If given an opportunity, though, he would definitely go after the few bantams. He loved our family, but was fiercely territorial and wanted nothing to do with any other intruders.

I would just be very cautious, and monitor closely. Your pup may be just fine with your birds. Just exercise caution. -not sure about the Yorkie/Bichon mix. -have just had Yorkies (although I think a Maltese snuck into the family tree of our last little guy somewhere) :)

Back
Top Bottom