Good place for a coop? What do you think about my landscape plans?

yorick

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
In preparation for raising chickens for the first time, I'm planning out our landscaping in consideration of the coop. I've read a lot of VERY useful posts here and seen many coop designs. A common theme I keep seeing is that many people seem to have regretted not planning enough before they built their coops. Hence, I'm going to err on the side of caution and overplan. So, here goes...

Here is my landscape plan with the coop in place. Other than the trees, everything is still to be built (planters, walking path, etc.). What do you think about the coop location and orientation (i.e. did I choose a good place for the egg box and doors?

45028_side-with-coop3.jpg

The coop design is still in progress but will look something like this but a bit bigger:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3812

Any suggestions/ideas are much appreciated. I've got about 4 more weeks before the chicks are old enough to place in the coop.

Looks pretty good. Don't know where you live - you might want to consider how easy it would be to run (bury) electricity out there if you live in a colder climate. Heck, even if you're in a warmer climate, it's not a bad idea to have electricity available (you know, for holiday lights!!
big_smile.png
).With the door on your run being at the far end (away from the coop), you'll have to walk through the run (and hence, the poo) to open/close/lock the pop door twice a day. I have my run door right next to the pop door so that I can step in (on a paver step since I'm usually in high heels), open their pop door, and exit the coop without getting messy on my shoes. I'd move the pop door to the other side as well, to be closer to the run door that you're going to move. Also, you might want to consider building a window into the door of your coop so that you can peek in without going between the coop and the fenceline (assuming a fence?). Also, and I only mention this because I wish I had done it myself, if your run is going to be covered, maybe consider a window (and at the least, vents) on the run side. With the cover on the run, you won't have to run out to close it when it starts raining and it will provide some natural daylight and a view for your chickens.

Hope this helps -

With an avocado tree I am going to say you are in CA
big_smile.png

The one thing I would look at is how much shade are they going to get during the summer months?

Mine are under our Almond tree but it's location is wrong for shading them in the outside run/corral area during the summer months. So, I have to wrap the run every summer with shade cloth and they are still miserable during our heatwaves.

This year I planted a Coast Redwood in their yard since they grow fast and they will have nice shade next summer!

Good luck with your new adventure hopefully this helped you out a little.

Hi, yorick --
welcome-byc.gif

Looks great, definitely good to be a planner! Hate having to remodel later...I sure did.

I am just curious, how many chickens to you plan to have? I would maybe go for a little bigger run, but that's just me. I forget how many sq. ft. each grown bird needs in the run. I'm sure somebody here will know. I let mine range, because even though I planned for enough sq. ft. for 25 birds, seems they could always use more "personal space"!

We are starting with 4 chickens. The coop is just under 20 sq. ft. The run is a total of 50 sq. ft. (30 in the open run and 20 under the coop) but primarily designed for them to get out of the coop. Our side yard is fenced. Hence, I plan to let them roam around the yard daily so they can enjoy the bugs around the trees, explore, scratch, etc. So, the 50 sq. ft. is only when I am too lazy to let them out for the day or it's wet outside.

I'm designing the coop for no more than 6 chickens but starting with just 4.

Based on that, would you still recommend a bigger run? I had thought this would be enough since they would be out but I'm open to suggestions.

Quote:

Duh - sorry about the comments about electricity and cold weather. Obviously, if you have avocados and pears, it's warm where you are....

If you have gardens in your yard, and it looks like you will, the chickens will try very hard to ruin them. They may end up spending more time than you realize in their run. My run is 6x8 for 4 chickens and I feel a bit guilty when I leave them in there, even tho they have more than enough room. I, too, am a gardener and have submitted to the fact that there are certain places that the chooks insist on going, even tho they are prohibited... If finally got smart this last spring and fenced in my vegetable garden, which was absolutely necessary.

SUPER CUTE!! I would consider a little "chicken fence" around the veggie planter areas, to keep them from eating the veggies. Our garden is outside of the fenced yard portion of our property, so when we let the girls out of the run they can't get into the produce.

wow...what a diagram. professional quality you got going there. one suggestion...or consideration:
be wary of the shade.
chickens love to bask in the sun and if those trees you've got there completely block the sun, you might be shorting you chicks from some good ole warm sun.
cool.png

Hmm... Great point about the garden. I was worried about it as well. It will be raised about 2 ft. but that's certainly not enough to deter them from getting into the raised planter. Any suggestions on how to deter them?

As for the electricity, I actually love the idea. I may not use it for heating the coop but I would love to put a light outside and inside the coop to enhance the look at night. Hence, I think I'll do that anyway.

Also, GREAT idea on the door location. I've taken your advice and moved the door location so that I can just reach in to access the pop door. Also, the new door location actually gives me easier access to the feed and watering trough which would be under the coop and now arms reach from the door. Thanks!!!

The run will be enclosed with poultry netting/wire and covered with a roof. So, they will get full sunlight.

Quote:
Your other message...
Quote:

Love the idea. How high should a chicken fence be to be effective in keeping the chickens out of the veggie garden?

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom