Good place for free ranging?

Logar

Songster
Mar 31, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
I have 6, 7 week old chicks of various breeds (Brahmas, jersey giants, barred rock, Orpington) and was wondering how safe they would be free ranging. We have around a 1/3 of an acre with a lot of that being woods. They would have the run and coop open all day. My backyard is fenced I as well. I know the risks that are associated with free ranging I just want some other options.
IMG_2238.jpeg

Too bad you haven't included your location. We could help you with a survey of the predators your chickens would likely encounter.

With such lovely cover, regardless of fencing, there is pretty decent risk that foxes, skunks, possums, coyotes, feral dogs and cats, assuming you are in the US, and aerial predators would pick off small chicks. Adult chickens have a better chance of evading predators than chicks. I would recommend only letting the chicks out for short periods under your supervision.

There is no way to judge how safe it is. Some people can go years without a problem, some are wiped out almost immediately. It is somewhat like driving a car. You may go years without an accident or somebody may run a stop sign and hit you next time you go out. Something may take one chicken. Something may kill your entire flock. You may lose none.

I have 6, 7 week old chicks of various breeds (Brahmas, jersey giants, barred rock, Orpington) and was wondering how safe they would be free ranging. We have around a 1/3 of an acre with a lot of that being woods. They would have the run and coop open all day. My backyard is fenced I as well. I know the risks that are associated with free ranging I just want some other options.View attachment 3838423
it should be fine. Free ranging hens is such a joy and a pleasure to watch.

free-ranging does come with its risks, but if you are vigilant enough and close your birds in a coop at night it should be fine.

If your backyard is fenced in then you don't gotta worry about wanderers here because the breeds you've stated are almost flightless.

It looks lovely. What type of predators do you have in the area?
While it looks lovely it's far from ideal for chickens. You need heavy cover on the ground, large bushes, hawthorn, black thorn, rosmary, thyme, even managed christmas trees cut at the top and encouraged to grow out sideways. In the short term you can make panic zones with a bit of imagination and some basic skills. Think jungle, not park.

Too bad you haven't included your location. We could help you with a survey of the predators your chickens would likely encounter
I could have sworn I already had my location in my profile. I just went and added it.
aerial predators would pick off small chicks. Adult chickens have a better chance of evading predators than chicks. I would recommend only letting the chicks out for short periods under your supervision.
Oh, yeah. I should have mentioned that this was for the future not now. I would wait until at least 16 weeks before I would even start letting them free range my yard supervised.
You need heavy cover on the ground, large bushes, hawthorn, black thorn, rosmary, thyme, even managed christmas trees cut at the top and encouraged to grow out sideways. In the short term you can make panic zones with a bit of imagination and some basic skills. Think jungle, not park.
There are a lot more than the pictures shows. In the back right corner (not pictured) there are some bushes, a whole bunch of giant fallen down trees, as well as big trees still standing. And if you look at that pile of greenery next to the tree with the bird house on the left, that whole pile is old branches that they could hide in as well as a massive hole about 5 feet deep my mastiff dug.

I also should have said that we have 2 giant dogs- one who is 90 pounds and one who is 150 pounds. The only animals we get on our property these days are birds, chipmunks, and a squirrel

Back
Top Bottom