Good treats for baby chicks?

Also, what would be good treats for adult chickens?
There’s a thread that was posted a few years ago that lists all the things chickens can eat as treats. Just do a forum or article search.
But remember that treats shouldn’t be more than 10% of their diet so that they get adequate nutrition and don’t get too fat.

Anything hard like corn, but soft like boiled egg ( remove shells ) or yogurt should be fine without grit. I will introduce grit at 3 weeks of age

There’s a thread that was posted a few years ago that lists all the things chickens can eat as treats. Just do a forum or article search.
But remember that treats shouldn’t be more than 10% of their diet so that they get adequate nutrition and don’t get too fat.
I think it was called "Chicken Treat Chart" or something like that. I think you can watch the thread to keep it handy.

I feel like I have neglected this bunch of chicks, they didn't get treats until they were 5 weeks old.

When spending time with my 6 new Maran chicks (1 week old) I treated them to eat from my hand: 2 ounces of shredded lettuce, 6 popcorn pieces and they seemed to play with it more than eat it. But they sure played chase with it when all the chirping started. But then again, they get excited each day when I change their water with fresh water. They are so cute no matter what they do, EXCEPT P@@P!

How old should they be when introducing meal worms or crickets. And this requires grit?
I gave my chicks some small mealworms that I broke up for them at about 10 days old.
Always offer chick sized grit free choice if you’re feeding anything other than chick feed.
Mine also love it when I pull up a chunk of grass and sod and let them scratch and peck at it in the brooder.
They really enjoyed the cottage cheese I gave them!

Back
Top Bottom