Good treats for baby chicks?

They love Meal worms. I got a little can of 500 live ones form Wild Birds Unlimited for like $7. After they have eaten them all you should see them start to forage looking for more. Its a sight.

Also Crickets are really entertaining. If you can stomach it, you may have to tear off a back leg to make it catchable.
Don't forget to chop the meal worms head off cos they may try to eat their way out of the Chick.

I started giving my chicks treats at about 1 week old. The first was a slice of tomatoe, which they loved. I put it on a paper towel and set it in the brooder box and they went after it right away. There is alot of water in tomatoes so I figured it couldn't hurt them. The next thing I tried was craisins that I had cut in very small pieces. They went nuts over those too. Now they are almost 6 weeks old and I give them lettuce, squash, mushrooms, sliced oranges, melon, apples, avocados, raisins, grass clippings, bread, frozen raspberries, cucumbers, etc. The only thing I would not give them is potatoe peelings and any form of chicken. I have given them hard cooked eggs. I do not buy any of the above at full price; however, I do go to our local food distribution every two weeks at 6:00 a.m. and help unload a truck full of nearly expired food and then buy a share for $14 just so that I can have 'fresh' food to feed my chickens. I also give them whatever table scraps we have left, which isn't many---too many big eaters at my house.

They come running when they see me coming with their treats!
I thought avacados were a definite no no for chickens.. .

Back
Top Bottom