Good treats for baby chicks?

I started giving my chicks treats at about 1 week old. The first was a slice of tomatoe, which they loved. I put it on a paper towel and set it in the brooder box and they went after it right away. There is alot of water in tomatoes so I figured it couldn't hurt them. The next thing I tried was craisins that I had cut in very small pieces. They went nuts over those too. Now they are almost 6 weeks old and I give them lettuce, squash, mushrooms, sliced oranges, melon, apples, avocados, raisins, grass clippings, bread, frozen raspberries, cucumbers, etc. The only thing I would not give them is potatoe peelings and any form of chicken. I have given them hard cooked eggs. I do not buy any of the above at full price; however, I do go to our local food distribution every two weeks at 6:00 a.m. and help unload a truck full of nearly expired food and then buy a share for $14 just so that I can have 'fresh' food to feed my chickens. I also give them whatever table scraps we have left, which isn't many---too many big eaters at my house.

They come running when they see me coming with their treats!
Um, avocado and any type of citrus is toxic for chickens and chicks?

My chicks are 1 week old today, and I read these cute stories about care. Their butts are now wiped and oiled. Joy, one of my Easter Eggers did NOT appreciate that! I tried some tomato, and they didn't seem to like it. I also put some apple cider vinegar in their water, to help prevent "paste butt." We went to Tractor Supply today, and saw some genies that really chirped LOUDLY! The man at Tractor Supply told us that someone had gone to the Post Office pretending to work for their company, and he STOLE THE BABY CHICKS that were due to come in that day! Can you imagine a person bad enough to steal little, baby chicks???

My chicks are 1 week old today, and I read these cute stories about care. Their butts are now wiped and oiled. Joy, one of my Easter Eggers did NOT appreciate that! I tried some tomato, and they didn't seem to like it. I also put some apple cider vinegar in their water, to help prevent "paste butt." We went to Tractor Supply today, and saw some genies that really chirped LOUDLY! The man at Tractor Supply told us that someone had gone to the Post Office pretending to work for their company, and he STOLE THE BABY CHICKS that were due to come in that day! Can you imagine a person bad enough to steal little, baby chicks???
Enjoy your babies! :jumpy

They didn't ask for ID???

They didn't ask for ID???
Apparently not. Just incredible. My thought is that it was probably a familiar face, with a Tractor Supply vest? Maybe a disgruntled ex-employee? Who else could get away with such a scheme? I can only speculate, but it's probably something like that. If the chicks are say, $5 a chick, and they stole 100 chicks... or maybe it was just a revenge thing...I hope he/she is caught. That was SO mean!

Apparently not. Just incredible. My thought is that it was probably a familiar face, with a Tractor Supply vest? Maybe a disgruntled ex-employee? Who else could get away with such a scheme? I can only speculate, but it's probably something like that. If the chicks are say, $5 a chick, and they stole 100 chicks... or maybe it was just a revenge thing...I hope he/she is caught. That was SO mean!
The thief is probably planning to sell them on Facebook or Craigslist. I can't imagine they'll be well cared for. 😢😢😢

Back
Top Bottom