Good treats for baby chicks?

Alright! I gave them some yogurt and at first they would go out of their way to avoid it, but I checked on them about 30 minutes later and they had licked (pecked?) the plate clean! Little goobers!
lau.gif
Sounds about right. They can be a little dubious when trying something out for the first time, but it sounds like they decided it was pretty good stuff!

i was curious about when theyd be able to start getting treats too so last night - after reading this entire thread- i tried giving them a HBe. at first they just looked at it . then one or two came and pecked at it and that was it . so i left it overnight . this morning there was not a crumble left! hahaha they must have liked it lol when i moved the dish it was on they came running but i didnt have anymore yet . they were dissapointed i think lol

maybe tonight when i give them another one they'll eat it while im there
ya.gif

My guys are almost 5 Weeks. Their fave treats are grapes, cucumber, hard boiled egg and oatmeal. They'll eat other things like Cheerios and blueberries but they arent chicken crack like their
favorites.
Sometimes think docs should prescribe chickens for depression. Nothing like watching a game of chicken keep away to put a smile on your face.

Last edited:
My guys are almost 5 Weeks. Their fave treats are grapes, cucumber, hard boiled egg and oatmeal. They'll eat other things like Cheerios and blueberries but they arent chicken crack like their
favorites.
Sometimes think docs should prescribe chickens for depression. Nothing like watching a game of chicken keep away to put a smile on your face.
I know, right? No matter how I'm feeling they are bound to make me laugh or at least put a smile on my face.

My week olds were so bored yesterday (I felt bad that they were scratching so industriously but to no avail) I chopped up some kale really fine in the food processor and gave it to them on a paper towel with about a teaspoon of grit. Took them a little while, but they eventually started playing peck-n-chase -it was gone in 2 minutes after that, lol. Maybe I'll try HBe today!

ok so i did the Spaghetti noodles this morning ... and OMG hahahahahaha it was hilarious my boys loved feeding them "wormies" the chicks loved it and ran/ tried to fly everywhere esp at each other. then by the time i got to the really tiny pieces they were hopping all up in my hand and arm every time my hand went in the brooder . it was AWESOME!
lau.gif

For the older chicks (3 wks+), I give them Oatmeal (not instant), plain yogurt, crushed Cherrios, Corn Flakes, Watermelon with rind and hard boiled eggs. I boil the eggs that our adult hens produce. I want to try noodles and Rice and I should get them some mealworms. For the babies (days old- 3wks), I crumble the Oatmeal, give them yogurt and hard boiled eggs. Some also like their Chick Starter soaked in water. Some of the chicks do not like anything wet, like yogurt. They shake their heads and rub and rub their beaks to take it off. That's a bit entertaining. I let the hard boiled eggs dry out a bit before giving it to them. The thing about chickens is they will eat anything. Be cautious about what they have access to eat. I make sure the little ones don't eat anything too large or solid. Mostly, the older chicks will pick up the food and crash it to the ground to break it into smaller bits with their beaks.

Our baby goats are the "kitchen scrap" garbage disposers but the adult chickens swoop in and snatch some of their food! Carrots, bananas, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bread, oranges, you name it....poof-gone. The goats don't seem to mind...sometimes, they will give the chickens a litle headbutt to give them a hint.

This post is awesome!!! I am new so was not sure when to start the treats..and have been sooo tempted. I did a tiny bit of boiled egg night before last and got the bla response so figured they were just not ready or too young. Doing another today to see if they response has changed. Can't wait to try out the other options. Never even imagined they would love the fresh veggs and fruit as much as I do. Thanks so much for everyone who has input all this great advice. So helpful!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom