Good treats for baby chicks?

I tried the hard boiled egg tonight. They loved it! They are 8 days old and it's the first time all of them have eaten out of my hand. I have a video of it but I don't know how to posts videos here yet.

all this talk about Teflon pans being bad...sure if its coming off in chunks I would agree.. but good pans with no scratches are just fine...heck human babys are only 7 lbs and get food warmed in Teflon pans....just a thought.for those that freak out cause they feed there chicks from a pan.....its blarney....

you can try putting apple cider vinegar in their water, (2 to 3 T per gallon of water) it helps prevent pasty butt, hope this helps :)

I used to have Quaker parrots and if I recall correctly, the reason you can't use Teflon pans is because of the fumes that Teflon releases when heated. The same goes for smoke, scented candles, and air freshener. Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and can get sick or die from strong fumes in the air. I don't think it's dangerous to allow birds to eat food cooked in a Teflon pan, it's just best not to have them in the room while the food is being cooked.

I'm so happy I found this thread, it's very helpful! I have 6 six week old chicks and haven't given them any treats yet. I was hesitant in doing so until I read this thread. It's been so cold and snowing here a lot, so I was finally able to take them outside this week for the first time. I will try giving them hard boiled egg or scrambled eggs tonight for a treat, hope they like it! I need to go buy some grit it sounds like in order to give them any other treats. I can't wait to spoil them!

you can try putting apple cider vinegar in their water, (2 to 3 T per gallon of water) it helps prevent pasty butt, hope this helps :)

Is that tablespoon or teaspoon? I've read that it's no more than 4 tsp per gallon and some say that is way too much. I've read that one teaspoon per gallon would be closer to the proper ph.

It's tablespoon, I use 2 tablespoons per gallon of water and it works great, you can also try giving them a mashed up hard boiled egg.
Have you checked the temp in their brooder, sometimes stress causes the pasty butt, it can be that they are cold.

It's tablespoon, I use 2 tablespoons per gallon of water and it works great, you can also try giving them a mashed up hard boiled egg.
Have you checked the temp in their brooder, sometimes stress causes the pasty butt, it can be that they are cold.

I'm not having issues with chicks, I just wanted to know if you meant tablespoon or teaspoon. I remember reading this from a university website and it stated teaspoons, that's why I asked.

ASTRINGENT SOLUTION

This solution can be used to treat young birds that show non-typical disease symptoms of poor growth. The solution can also be given to birds suffering from respiratory diseases that produce a large amount of mucus exudate. This solution will help "cut through" the mucus and allow it to be expelled easier.

Two quarts of apple cider vinegar diluted into 100 gallons of water
(4 teaspoons/gallon)

The tannin in the apple cider vinegar aide in removing any mucus or coating from the mouth, throat, or intestinal tract. Nutrients and drugs are more readily absorbed. Offer this solution as the only drinking water source for two to three day intervals.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Back
Top Bottom