Good treats for baby chicks?

I gave my chicks their first treat two nights ago, scrambled eggs, and they loved it! I have never made scrambled eggs in the microwave, I'm going to have to try that! I will buy grit this weekend to give them more exciting treats. Can't wait!

I'm new to this and trying to be as prepared as possible when the chicks arrive. I have a few questions about treats for baby chicks. I'm going to be tempted to spoil them right away and I want to do it in a way that won't harm them!

1. Is it better to wait as long as possible, at least to a week? I know things like hard boiled eggs have good protein, is that ok to give sooner?

2. Is it better to start them on soft treats that don't need grit, like yogurt and hard boiled eggs? What's the rule of thumb for what needs grit- if you could eat it without teeth, they can eat it without grit? Anything you'd give to a baby without teeth? Can they eat spaghetti without grit?

3. When's a good time to introduce foods that do need grit, and the grit itself?

4. When feeding yogurt, does it have to be a plain variety? I've seen pictures of adult hens eating what looked like blueberry yogurt. Can it be flavored? would chunks of fruit require grit?

Any more suggestions for favorite treats, and do they need grit, or not? I know about hard boiled eggs, yogurt, spaghetti and bugs (which do need grit, i know). I know people suggest oatmeal- is this cooked or raw?
1.Okay, wait until about a week. As I say below, everything besides chick feed needs grit.

2.Everything needs grit besides chick feed.

3.I started giving mine grit around a week old, they are all living and healthy.

4.I don't know about the yogurt, sorry.

Oatmeal, cooked or raw. and here is some more input:

You can start to feed young chicks green food from 3 days old. Try the members of the cabbage familt, cabbage, cauliflower leaves, sprout tops.
Try to hang these up, so the chicks have to jump up (not to high) this will also stop any feather plucking. (You don't have too, but make sure and give the, grit before that.)

Here is a link:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/chicken-treats-guide-dont-love-your.html

Wow, I haven't been on here in years and didn't realize people were still discussing this. Please don't feel that anyone has to original the original post- those chicks grew up and have mostly died off by now. The one remaining is 5 years old! Guess it's been helpful to many people along the way...

unless you want egg eaters you need to make sure its cooked and the shells should be cooked and pulverized.

I made a garland with my fresh herbs to hang in my chicks brooder, they are 11 days old, they loved the fresh rosemary and sage, I also gave them raw oatmeal with grit mixed in, they all dived in to eat it.
Today was their very first day outside, they followed me around in the yard and came when I called them, I love my sweet chicks!

I am just getting started with chickens in my backyard. I ordered a coop and it is supposed to deliver next week. I have room for only 4 chicks so they were ordered and are to ship out June 9th. So hopefully I will get the coop assembled next week and be all ready for the new arrivals. This is a great site with lots of good information for newcomers.

Back
Top Bottom